• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 to M1008 Bucket seat conversion

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Has anyone placed bucket seats in the pickup. Is it just a drill/bolt in install? I think the floorboards are the same so I dont see why not. If so, anyone got a clean pair that they what to get rid of? ThX

mangus580

Floor boards are not the same. Pickup floor is raised to accomdate the fuel tank/s. It can be done, but you will need to make some special mounts and drill holes.

GM did put factory buckets in the pickups..... not sure how many were like that after 79 though. But the earlier ones should bolt in, with some minor drilling.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also shop for Suburban bucket seats, The Burb shares a nearly identicall floor with the pickup where as Mike pointed out, the blazer doesn't.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suburban seats ARE the way to go. I replaced the two bench seats in my 1991 Suburban with four captains chairs. The fronts just bolted up. The holes were already there. No big deal.

MAKE SURE you have the 'backing plates' which are oval in shape that hold the bolts to the floor pan. It keeps them from pulling the bolts through in case of an accident.

Other than that, you should be good to go. Oh, and MY Suburban seats have arm rests, which unless I'm mistaken, the Blazers never had. On a long trip with the cruise set, it is nice to have a place to rest your arms.

jim

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, it wasn't for the gas tank. Blazers up till about 1977 had the same front floor as a pickup. Then they modded the whole floor to get the back seat passengers more leg room The hump was also an issue for ingress since it had no back doors like a burb. The older ones had them at the height of the cargo floor, the newer ones, in a well. The suburban was already designed for the way the back seats folded. No sense in changing that line too so just the blazers got the odd stuff. And now you know "The Rest of the Story"
Did I mention I love Suburbans! When my crew cab dies, I'm going back to an older burb.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seats are the same, tracks and mounts are different. Blazer seats won't bolt in unless you find pickup tracks or suburban tracks. Different floors between the blazer and everything else.

Crash_AF

There are an extra set of tabs welded to the floor of the Suburban/1010 to make the bucket seats work in it. I don't know if all later 'burbs have them, but my '83 doesn't so I'm going to have to torch out a set from a junkyard truck and have them welded in to convert to buckets.

I believe that the reason behind using pickup floors in the 'burban is that they use the same pan as a crew cab pickup.

Later,
Joe

tourdog

yeas ago i put bucket seats in my 79 k20 pickup the sats were out of buick car 3bolts jumped in had to make small mod for last one the front left was the only one that did not fit .so drilled hole in floor put large whasher and nut under floor same on top with treaded rod then put nut whasher in thenput seat in made adjustments bolted seat in with nut and washer on top . was that way for years still that way i think sold truck 10 12 years ago never had promble btw. it was 6 way power cool in truck at time .