• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Towing 4 Wheels Down

nukewrk

Can you tow a M1009 4 wheels down? Anything special required. Need to pick up a RV 600 miles from home. Thought about driving it up and towing it back..
Any comments / info appreciated. Thanks

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'll tell you what GM says for a truck like that, part time 4wd, and 4 wheels on the ground(old owners manual).
1. Transfer case in 2 High
2. Transmission in neutral
3. Maximum speed 35mph
4. Maximum distance 50 miles

Note: For speeds or distances greater than above, both propshafts must be removed.
Note: Do not exceed speeds as per State laws for towing vehicles.
Note: With front wheels off the ground everything the same except you don't have to pull the front propshaft.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Piece of cake! Unlock front hubs, remove rear drive shaft, unlock steering column (requires leaving the key in turing towing), hookup your towbar and lights and head out. Have several hundred mies dragging the M1009 without a single issue.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would only add to Kenny's instructions (after "remove rear drive shaft"): disconnect the batteries.

mangus580

They do to much easier 4 wheels down... than NONE down

rofl

Kenny is spot on. They tow great like that too.... When you remove the rear driveshaft, leave it in the tcase, and tie it up. Otherwise you will leak fluid out of it.

HAWKMAN

I've towed them may times with the GI tow bar and can say that they tow fine, I would definately unbolt front/rear D/S and bungee it to frame....Oh.. I'd also use the F-150 to tow it. just my 2cents worth......enjoy your '09:-D

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no reason to take the front d/s off. With the hubs unlocked, the shaft won't turn.

Just take the rear shaft off.

Later,
Joe

Yes, I agree with that. It must of been one of GM's lawyers proof reading the owners manual that decided they didn't want it in there! :roll: aua

kennyw

There's no reason to take the front d/s off. With the hubs unlocked, the shaft won't turn.

Just take the rear shaft off.

Later,
Joe
Even with the hubs unlocked, the driveshaft still turns. There is enough parasitic drag with the friction to cause this. It cannot impart high loads like having the hubs locked though and you still don't need to remove the front driveline. If the shaft turns, it will turn the chain that will lubricate any parts it may move.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

Yea, you don't HAVE to remove the front shaft but it only takes a few minutes to remove it from the front rear, I do it for the peace of mine that the drive line has been isolated from the road........one less thing to worry about when cuising down I-81......just a thought:-D

Mark3395

I picked up a deuce at Warner Robbins and came down in a 1009 to pick it up. I can tow the 1009... I towed it recently 200 miles after a pickup at Camp Dodge.

It towed fine, but now I'm looking at about a 1000 mile tow behind a deuce.

I disconnected the rear driveshaft per the manual and hung it from a crossmember with a 2 foot chain. Worked perfectly and I reattached tie driveshaft easily upon return.

But I wonder why I'm doing it. I know that the automatic transmision of a vehicle can suffer bearing damage if ATF isn't flowing to the rear bearing and seal as the driveshaft turns during towing. But if the transfer case is disengaged the transmission shouldn't rotate. And the transfer case is flooded in any case and isn't lubricated by ATF under pressure is it?

It's like flat towing a deuce. Nobody says to disengage the driveshaft of an M35, so what's different?

Anybody got a technical reason I should disengage that driveshaft again, or perhaps first hand knowledge of what happens if you don't?

Thanks in advance.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The output shaft on the transfer case is oiled by slinging. If you don't have any lover gears turning (it's in neutral) the existing fluid will dry out and parts will get hot and fuse together. I think Westech has first hand knowledge of this. With a deuce the rear output shaft is in the oil so as long as the rear output is spinning, it's slinging oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks