• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 towing

2deuce

I thought I'd relate my experience. I have read alot of other posts on the subject lately because I wanted to do some hauling. I flat towed a M1009 with another M1009 a few years back with a bad experience. No wreck but white knuckles, and I would recommend against that.
I have a heavy duty car trailer that is rated at 7k. I have towed this trailer with a light load behind my blazer with good results when I had no trailer brakes, but I knew I should have trailer brakes so I installed a controller especially for this trip. I also towed a M101a2 fully loaded with the blazer with good results.
I needed to retrieve a M1008 that was almost 300 miles from home. I had to tow the trailer up cabbage and come back down loaded. If you have never heard of Cabbage hill it is a 6 mile 6% grade east of Pendleton OR on I84n. Just the warnings as you get closer to it will make you nervous. It also has 3 truck escape ramps.
The blazer got the job done. The trailer I have tows rock solid, never wanders, or wiggles, I would say it tows perfectly. I put the M1008 on the trailer so the blazer squatted 3 to 4 inches. It is all stock 10 bolts with 32" tires so the indicated speed of 55 is actually about 5 over. I went up cabbage about 35mph and followed a semi down loaded at about 25. My blazer has the stencil saying 1/4 ton trailer only, but I thought it looked stronger and it is. Stability was reduced from wind. Passing semi's (they passed me)had their effect which was very noticeable over 50 mph. You have to concentrate on your driving 100% of the time, no sightseeing and even reaching for a drink or checking the rear view mirrors has to be calculated, but I was driving through some stormy weather. I can say the M1009 will do it. Mine pulled up some 1 to 2 mile 6% grades at 25mph at it's slowest floored and in second gear, but it will easily go 60mph on the flat, but the stability of the short wheelbase on the blazer, with the light suspension prohibited me from feeling safe over 55. I figured that if it was very unstable I would have just had to get home late. One thing I did add to my M1009 was a tranny cooler, because I was concerned that pulling a heavy load with the 3.08 gears and 32" tires would add up to too much strain(heat) on the turbo 400. It was a good trip, the 6.2 purred smoothly the whole way. Fuel consumption was almost double. I haven't actually calculated it out but a guess from where the gauge sits and how many miles I went. I would do it again.2cents

2deuce

I did take one with my cell phone. It was at the Deadman Pass rest area. The name of the place was not confidence inspiring. Deadman Pass is at the top of Cabbage. I turned in my hubs there just in case. Poor quality. I forgot my camera.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Maybe you should bring it back, and bring your good camera, and start over.
Pics man, pics....

Oh, and congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

2deuce

I always forget something. One time last year it was the winch controller. I hate it when that happens. Thankfully this one drove itself up on the trailer. If the blazer broke down it would have switched places.

mf5129

a tow dolly is better behind a m1009.it is easier with less weight and easier to drive with a short wheelbase.also less insurance and license hassles.

91W350

a tow dolly is better behind a m1009.it is easier with less weight and easier to drive with a short wheelbase.also less insurance and license hassles.
Obviously you have never seen the aftermath of a panic stop pulling equal weight on a tow dolly. It is not pretty....when the trailed vehicle tries to roll past the sideways sliding tow vehicle, it is instant ugly. Surge brakes or a trailer brake setup is an absolute must for safety's sake when pulling a load weight like that.

Tow dollies will buckle quickly at the hitch and pivot. I have towed a lot of vehicles with a tow dolly, 110 miles almost every Monday for several years, sometimes 220 miles if we bought a car to bring home.. They are a great tool, but realize there are limits. Just my opinion.

Glen

91W350

I never had any ice experience with surge brakes....But I know towing an equal sized vehicle in a toter is not a good plan. Surge brakes have to be way ahead of a toter or dolly. I agree, I would much prefer electric brakes. Glen

2deuce

The M101a2 I have has surge brakes and they did come into use once for me to where if they weren't working or if it wasn't an a2 trailer, I would have rear ended the car in front. I would never have considered a tow dolly. I saw a wreck last summer where the vehicle on the dolly took control, on a short downgrade. Both vehicles took a beating, nobody was hurt. I sold a car about 10 years ago and the new owner showed up with a pickup and a tow dolly. I have a turn in my driveway where the heavy chrysler I sold caused the pickup to jackknife before it even left my property. I like the electric trailer brakes on my car trailer.
I can't say I would recommend towing with a M1009 like I did because it does require your complete attention 100% of the time, mainly because of the short wheelbase of the M1009 and its lightweight. But my m1009 did do the job if not slowly.

mf5129

you will have no trouble if you install a safety chain on each wheel.i have used dollys for 15 years and tow frequently.it is safe if you use common sense.i just got back on a 800 mile round trip yesterday.ive had wreckers for years.too much overhead.

91W350

Sometimes your common sense approach to towing does not apply to those other motorists or animals that share the nations road system. If you are pulling a 5200 pound load with no brakes behind a 5200 pound short wheelbase vehicle that is prone to crossing up without a load, you are just inviting trouble. You may get away with it for the rest of your life or the next time out, something will ruin your perfect track record. I am by no means saying it cannot be done, I am just saying if you are towing a M1009 with a M1009, a trailer with brakes makes much more sense.

Most states have a complicated percentage of GVW weight/trailer/brake law. If your towing vehicle does not compromise over a certain percentage of your total GVW, you have to have trailer brakes, regardless of load weight. Most officers do not get involved with enforcing that law, but I can tell you attorneys seeking a lawsuit for personal injuries will be familiar with it. They will exploit your last dollar and a percentage of every dollar you will earn for the remainder of your life, just give them a chance.... That accident where their client was at fault was your fault because by law you did not have adequate braking.

That being said, would I tow my M1009 home on a dolly in an emergency, you bet! I would much rather do it on a trailer with brakes though.

91W350

I checked today and Kansas has drastically changed their law! It now states that your vehicle combination has to be capable of stopping a 20 mph vehicle within 40 feet under normal circumstances. If you are pulling more than one vehicle, like a boat behind a camper, the camper has to have at least one axle with brakes. No trailer brakes required for GVW under 10,000 pounds. The average passenger car will stop in 25 feet at 20 mph.

One could read this to mean your tow dolly has to have brakes. I seriously doubt a M1009 will stop a second M1009 within 40 feet at 20 mph. As far as that goes, I doubt a M1008 will stop a M1009 in that distance. Glen