• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 trailer dimensions

hotcorner216

So ive read a whole bunch about different trailers the m1009 can, cant and can but shouldnt tow but I didnt find a whole lot on dimensions, i was wondering is there a trailer that the m1009 was made to pull that will fit a 8x5ft ranger RZR 570? (a little less than 1k LBS) If not, whats the biggest size I can go safely, I will be towing it off road and be upgrading to a frame connecting hitch. Id like to be able to at least fit one quad or two quads standing up on the trailer...any advise appreciated.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a frame mounted reciever hitch all limits assigned to a M1009 are out the window. A lot of that was due to the pintle hitch being mounted on a fairly flimsy bumper. Just Google the specs for a 1986 Chevy Blazer with a tow package. That should give you all the info you need. The only caveat is if the tow package came with upgraded brakes but don't belive that's the case - but your responsibility to verify it.

MarcusOReallyus

It's not about the dimensions, it's about the weight. The M101 trailer that was pulled by the CUCVs is 1350 pounds, with a 2250 pound capacity, for a gross weight of 3600 pounds.

That's on the pintle hitch, so as mkoen mentioned, you are in a different world with the frame mounted hitch. You can probably take that 3600 gross trailer weight as a minimum.

As for pulling some 4 wheelers... I one bought a Datsun (yes, Datsun. Old school) pickup from a friend of mine. He used it to tow a trailer with a dune buggy and 3 or 5 dirt bikes, plus fuel water & fuel for an extended weekend. I don't think you'll have any problem with your M1009.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks