• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 trailer question

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I would like to at some point soon get an M101A2 trailer for my M1009.

What I would like to know is..

Do I need an extra transmission cooler to tow one of those?
Or I am good with the stock transmission cooler it already has?

Also, does anyone in the Atlanta area already have one,
That I could possibly borrow this coming weekend (Feb. 19th &/or the 20th)?

So I can move some personal belongings out of my storage unit,
and either take them to goodwill or an auction house that may take them.

Nothing heavy, just to much and too bulky to put into my M1009.

Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you..

CJ

midcounty

I don't have a M1009, not yet any way, but I have read that you need to be careful with the original hitch arrangement. They rely on the stock bumper, which can't take the load of a heavy trailer. I read that the military had issues with the bumpers getting torn off the M1009s. I figure when I do get one I will upgrade to a suitable frame mounted hitch. My personal opinion on the cooler, it can't hurt to add one but I doubt it needs it. That is just my opinion based on my past experiences with civi trucks.

2deuce

I personally would not worry about the hitch on the M1009 unless you are planning to tow heavy loads off road. I tow a M101a2 with mine and have hauled capacity loads without a problem except being slow on the hills. The area I worry more about is the braking ability, than ripping the hitch off. I have a huge cooler on mine, because I wanted to be able to pull a car trailer in a pinch. In the winter I don't think the tranny ever gets up to the recommended temp. I'm not sure of the consequences of that, but my MPG may be down because of the cooler.

papercu

but I have read that you need to be careful with the original hitch arrangement.
Never heard that about the CUCV but the HMMWV did have that trouble with the trailers that was made for them. Wayne

jamesonsdad

i have zero issues towing my mil trailer although i put a pintle/ball combo vs. the regular pintle.i have not had any tranny problems so far so i don't think you would need an additional cooler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks