• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 update...more welding...

linx310

Ok yet another update on my M1009…still working with the floor trying to patch up all the rotted areas. Hopefully one more weekend of this floor stuff and it will be ready for me to sand blast.

I started with the really bad area near the driver side door. I cut it out and used left over steel from the floor pan to cut out a patch. I used the edge of the table and a hammer to make a bend so it matches up with the contour of the floor.

I used sheet metal screws to secure it to the floor and used a hammer to bend it to mate it up perfectly.

Attachments

linx310

Then I welded it in. My welding is skills are not to great with sheet metal so I did it the slow way by using a bunch of tac welds and a few small beads. It might not look like much but it does the job and I get good penetration.

I also noticed the floor was cracked from the seat frame so I welded that back up. When I was finished it almost looked factory! A lot easier to weld thicker metal.

Onto the passenger side a lot of little areas I need to cut out.

Attachments

linx310

The part that took the longest was getting each patch panel setup to fit just right.

Once I had them screwed in I went to work welding them in. The area along the kick panel at the rear was a big pain in the butt.

Got the panels welded in, they might not look pretty but I don’t care because I am going to put a bed liner over it.

Attachments

linx310

Gonna make up a cardboard template first though.
Thats what I did first since the pieces I cut out just fell apart. It makes it a lot easier. This time I didnt take any pics of the templates though.

Last edited:

topgun217

I've never done body/sheet metel work, this is gonna be a real eye opener for me. Wanna send me that template b-4 saturday? I gotta sick feeling this is going to be an all day event aua What you have done looks good, i hope i have luck on my side.

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

Looks good! for a little insurance agaist leaks if you are not sure get some body seem sealer and put on the joints will make sure they are water tight!2cents You will see a better weld by the time you get done practice makes perfect fits here!

linx310

Wanna send me that template b-4 saturday?
The template is unique to my vehicle. If you do a search on my user name I have a thread on making your own.

Plan on it being all day. The prep work is the hardest part imho.

for a little insurance agaist leaks if you are not sure get some body seem sealer and put on the joints will make sure they are water tight!
Yeap that is exactly what i am going to do.