• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 VA Tow Bar Recovery

crownjewel4

Had another successful M1009 recovery today. 700 miles round trip. A little tired at the moment. Wanted to say thanks to Bob M, I utilized his idea to use the lifting points, and retroed a 2x6 coupling to fit. Worked great BOB!! Thanks,

Other than traffic, and lots of it!! The trip went fine. I arrived at 10:00 A.M. for a 12:00 appointment. Jason said no problem, come on down, I was in and out in less than 45 minutes. The GL people on site were great. Thanks also for the entrance tips, south entrance is the way to go!

Here are a few photos of the set up. It works great. Used a lite bar for the rear tail/turn/brake. Kept it around 60-65 MPH. Took 5 hours down, and 7+ to get home, (traffic), UGH...:evil::twisted:

Attachments

bigtruck

Good work! I like the tow bar set-up,, could you please provide all the specs/details on that...? (what was off the shelf, what you fabricated,,, etc).. I'd like to keep a to bar set-up in my M1009 just in case i ever need it. Plus,, would certainly be nice for future recoveries. Another question-- did you disconnect the rear drive shaft..?

crownjewel4

I purchased at Tractor Supply, ($129.00 I think). I also bought the tow chain kit, it is 4 seperate chains with hooks, and also worked great. I did not take off any shafts, just put the transfer case in neutral. I will post the link I used to fabricate, once I find it. I am heading out to give the new M1009 a jump with my slave cable, and give it a good look over.
Good work! I like the tow bar set-up,, could you please provide all the specs/details on that...? (what was off the shelf, what you fabricated,,, etc).. I'd like to keep a to bar set-up in my M1009 just in case i ever need it. Plus,, would certainly be nice for future recoveries. Another question-- did you disconnect the rear drive shaft..?

Cigarjoe

Looks like you picked up in Richmond. I was just there on the 22nd picking up my 1008. Well I didn't pick it up I just got it off the property, because they were telling me it had to be off by the 30th even though I didn't get my EUC until the 18th and they only schedule pick ups on Tuesday"s and Wednesday's. Now just waiting for a shipper to ship it. I may just go buy a tow bar and go get it after reading this.

crownjewel4

Looks like you picked up in Richmond. I was just there on the 22nd picking up my 1008. Well I didn't pick it up I just got it off the property, because they were telling me it had to be off by the 30th even though I didn't get my EUC until the 18th and they only schedule pick ups on Tuesday"s and Wednesday's. Now just waiting for a shipper to ship it. I may just go buy a tow bar and go get it after reading this.
Cigarjoe,

I would not be afraid to pickup with a towbar, and move yourself. I have purchased 5-M1009's and 2-M1008's and always used a car trailer. Rental is $50 + insurance. I had a 6 hour drive down, and 7+ back, would never have made the 24 hr. rental. I am now comfortable using the towbar, and will use again. Was a little nervous at first, but all went well. Check this link View topic - Civy tow bars :: Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

Good luck,
Any questions send me a PM
CJ:smile:

acmunro

If the towbar trip is more than 50 miles the rear driveshaft should be removed and front hubs placed in the unlock position. I usually give the front driveshaft a spin by hand to make sure the front hubs actually unlocked. They usually do, but I have had some stick.

Somemedic

I dragged my blazer up I65 from Camp Shelby to bee-yoo-tee-full Hobart on a towbar my buddy and I made. No blazer issues, zip tied the drive shaft to the frame, and heard a buzzing for a couple of days after I got out of the truck.

How do folks flat tow their jeeps behind their motorholmes w/o burning up their transmissions? Those shafts arent disco'ed?

Cigarjoe

I dragged my blazer up I65 from Camp Shelby to bee-yoo-tee-full Hobart on a towbar my buddy and I made. No blazer issues, zip tied the drive shaft to the frame, and heard a buzzing for a couple of days after I got out of the truck.

How do folks flat tow their jeeps behind their motorholmes w/o burning up their transmissions? Those shafts arent disco'ed?
They are either sticks or as we did when we had an RV there are companies that make mods that are quick disconnects, they even make units that sit on the floor that apply the brakes in the tow vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks