• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 vent plug port spraying fuel !!!

helishredd

I follwed the instructions for bleeding the fuel filter on p. 3-54 of the CUCV maintenance manual. I had the vent plug on top open and the solenoid wire diconnected. I got clean diesel on cranking. Closed everything up and started the engine. DIESEL FUEL IS STILL COMING OUT OF THE VENT PLUG PORT !!??

I stopped and started the engine several times and it just keeps flowing out. WTF? Gas cap shut. Top vent tight. Bottom drain tight. I don't get it??

Can anyone straighten me out please? :cry::oops: Thanks Chris
1986 M1009.

beaubeau

What vent plug, on the Fuel filter? You may have to remove it and check the Seal, or O ring seal. Wost thing, if it is on the Fuel filter, you may need to get a new filter. Good Luck, Phil

helishredd

It is on the base mounting plate for the fuel filter. it is a metal hose fitting on the top left side. on p.3-54 of the CUCV maintenance manual it has #3 and tells you to connect a plastic tube to it. it is supposed to bleed fuel when you crank with injection pump wire disconnected and top vent plug open.

helishredd

A visit to the mess tent put 2 and 2 together. The top vent blew out and sprayed fuel. There has to be a seal or o-ring down in the filter base at the end of the thumb screw that shuts off the bleeder vent. It has to be gone which is why the bleeder won't stop flowing.
Where do I get myself the seal ???? 60K question.

Stonepicker1

Sorry guys, But there is no O-Ring inside the vent hole or on the plug itself.. Look at the plugs end. That is the part that seals the hole. The end of the plug has a spring inside and can turn on its self. By turning the plug all the way into the vent hole(about 6-3/4 turns) that is how it seals the hole.
Hopes this helps.
Does your plug look like the one in the picture????

Attachments

1956_4x4

Sorry guys, But there is no O-Ring inside the vent hole or on the plug itself.. Look at the plugs end. That is the part that seals the hole. The end of the plug has a spring inside and can turn on its self. By turning the plug all the way into the vent hole(about 6-3/4 turns) that is how it seals the hole.
Hopes this helps.
Does your plug look like the one in the picture????

The parts manual shows some type of packing.

TM 9-2320-289-20P
Figure 18
Item 5

Smitty

helishredd

Stonepicker and Smitty, you guys are great, thanks. That piece is sheared off at the plastic on mine. I cut a little piece of thick rubber and it seems to work fine, however my attempt at fixing the water sensor that was leaking failed (used some fuel resistant gloop in a tube...don't bother!!). Incredibly Rock auto wants $145 for the sensor but you can get the whole filter and mounting plate including the sensor for $48 from the OEM surplus site...go figure. I will check the junkyard first just in case I get lucky. Thanks again