• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Voltmeter question.

DanR7985

Before I go into what's wrong I just would like to add that I was very new to working on vehicles at the time that I did this, and now I know I did something very very bad and wrong. That being out of the way here is my question.

I replaced my voltmeter a while ago, and forgot/did not disconnect the batteries. I tested it, and it worked fine. Well a wire must have touched something it shouldn't have. Quite a spark shot off, and it now no longer works. I'm not sure if I may have fried the gauge, a fuse, or maybe burned a wire in half or whatever. If any of you have any ideas what may have caused this would be great. Needless to say any time I do electrical work I will disconnect the batteries from now on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the very bottom fuse in the fuse box.

papakb

electrical testers

Even if your not an experienced technician one of the handiest pieces of test equipment you can have in the toolbox is a simple test lamp. You don't need to be a genius to know you have power when the light goes on. Simpler than reading a meter! They're cheap and get the job done.

DanR7985

Just checked and the fuse is blown. I will pick up some fuses tomorrow while I am in town. Hopefully that will fix it all. I really appreciate all the help. I will report back once I find out that it did or did not fix it.

DanR7985

Well that fixed it. Only now did I realize that I got a 12 volt gauge instead of a 24. So now I have to buy a 24 and switch it again. Thanks again for all the help.

papakb

The majority of the M series battery voltmeters are 24 volt gauges. If you want to know exactly what voltage you have then look into marine (boat) gauges. Quite a few of them are 24 volt.

Kurt

DanR7985

I looked at getting a resistor. There are 300 Ohm resistors with different wattage. For example 300 Ohm 5W or 300 Ohm 10W. Does it matter which resistor I get?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you test your old resistor? Can it be reused?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In post # 9, I included a link(yellow text) to a thread on the same topic. In it 1 person posted wattage. 1 watt

DanR7985

In my stupidity back then thinking it was broke I pitched it.

I did read that entire article, but that poster did not use a single 300 Ohm resistor. He used 3 100 Ohm 1W resistors. I don't know if that means the watts add up to 3, or if it stays at 1. I know nothing about that electrical type of stuff. My electrical knowledge stops at putting in light switches, outlets, and lights/fans.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I do appreciate all the help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In post #9 of the link, the mouser part number is a 5 watt, 300 ohm resistor. I just Googled it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks