• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Wiring

Brett09

I've rewired tons of stuff just not me oh8 ...yet. Take tons of notes and label all of the old stuff and it never hurts to take pictures. Get the diagrams for your CUCV. Also I wouldn't start anything until you know what all the relays, flashers ect. go to. Try not to cut anything so you can use the old harness to build a new harness. It may save time on removal but can be a huge time/life saver in the end (these trucks don't have much to them, but its good practice). I would recommend using a kit from Ron Francis or Painless as a base. The will have the correct size wire and fusing. Solder everything, if it can't be then test every connection. Grab the connector in one hand and wire in the other and give it a sharp tug. Use good connectors made for autos that are weather tight and vibration proof. Don't forget a good dielectric on all your connections.

Those are a few things off the top of my head to maybe get you in the right direction. Hope that helps. If you have any more questions fire away.

Brett

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soo has anyone rewired their CUCV? I don't trust my original harness and would love to redo the truck. Any hints?

What part don't you trust?

95% of all CUCV electrical issues are from dirty/corrodes connections. It is alot easier to take the connections apart, clean them with electrical connact cleaner (sand paper if nessicary), use dieelectric grease and reconnect.

If you don't understand the base wiring, you will not understand the Painless connection.

With the base wiring at least you have a wiring diagram to go by, Painless you have to make your own.

With the base wiring, if you need help, someone across the world can help diagnose it, Painless you will be on you own.

Painless kits are NOT plug and play. You do have to have some understanding of all the electrical needs for whatever vehicle you are working on.

Just a few thing to think about.

Or just rip it all out and start fresh.....:razz:

Last edited:

Brett09

Are the RF or Painless kits complete for civvy wiring and is there alot to the military wiring?

Nope you will be building your own harness. They might have a kit for a civy version but you will be making it work with your CUCV. I guess I did get a bit ahead of myself and Warthog is 100% right. Unless you have heavily damaged or burnt wiring cleaning all the connections and trouble shooting would be the ideal route.

Brett

MyAngry85

Sounds fair and I'm in no position financially or time wise to be buying a full kit. Just kinda figured anything with wiring that old would have brittle wires. Thanks guys I'll save it for when I have a second M V. Reallly gets annoying when everytime i stick my hand up behind the dash half the dash lights take a bumpy road to make em work again.