• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 won't start need help !!

irishvin

ok so my m1009 i took it down to the NYC it get sum friends and family out of the flood zone.. until i shut it off to get FUEL . when i went to go turn it back on the truck just made a clicking nose in the steering column. i cant figure out what it is. but i got it to start up and get it home. so this mourning i tried to start it again to get to work and wont start i went through the tms to troubleshoot it did everything and still not working i put my battery's on a charger for now because they are reading 9 AMPS. ( this truck was changed over to 12 volt starting system by last owner). I'am at a lose and i just need help

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
9 volts is not enough to engage or hold the starter solenoid engaged(causing clicking sound).

If you battery was dead, you may have a bad alternator. Your belt could be loose or missing. Your battery connections could be loose. Or ?

Charge your battery, start it. Measure your battery voltage running and not running. If it is not increased when running, your alternator is bad.

Does(or did) your gen 1 light work, as it should?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without capitalization and proper sentence structure, it is difficult to read and understand your statements.

I managed to understand it, because I took a tiny bit of extra effort, because I know your in a bad situation. Normally, I would simply pass on to the next thread(or comment about grammar and then pass on).

epartsman

Since it was converted to 12V you are kinda on your own here as we have no idea how it was converted and the TM's are specific to the 24V system. You could have a bad starter, solenoid, wiring, alternator not charging, batteries since you said they were showing only 9V, ign switch in the column, a ground problem, and the list goes on and on. I suggest fresh batteries to start if yours are old and are still only putting out 9V after being charged. If that doesn't work you may need to seek professional help due to the modifications made.

MarcusOReallyus

9 amps? Do you mean 9 volts?

You aren't going to start anything with 9 volts. Charge each battery fully, THEN try again.

Charge each battery FULLY.

If it starts after FULLY charging, then you know that your starting circuit is good (starter, solenoid, starter relay, etc.) and your problem is that you aren't charging your batteries. (Then start looking at belts, alternator, etc.)

If it doesn't start, it's time to start looking at your starting circuit.

FULLY charging your batteries is the next step.

FULLY charge. Don't half-step it here because you're in a hurry.

epartsman

If you do remove it you will need to purchase 2 new main starter bolts as they are torque to yield. If you use the old bolts you risk loosing one going down the road.
Just my 2cents

M1008driver

Doghead nailed it. Your batteries are not charging or you have a bad battery, or connection. Just because it is 12 volt should not be a problem as you can now buy parts in town, a plus in a disaster area.

I would be thinking the alternator. It may have killed one or both of your batteries too.

EDIT- It could be the starter. I would still top off your batteries and try again. Maybe the water on the starter did something. You can fill up your diesel with the engine running and shut it down at a more convenient place.

If you buy a starter get the Gold Duralast if you can afford it. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa.../N-ijl3sZ9rict?itemIdentifier=989557_55002_0_

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

I recommend changing you truck back to the original 24V system. My M1009 was converted to 12V by the previous owner and I wish it was stock. It would have eliminated a lot of headaches when I got it.

The advantages of being stock are great. The ability to use the TM's when diagnosing and repairing you truck are a huge advantage. A lot of people say that the 24V system is hard to work on and complicated. It's not. It's actually very simple and once you study the TM's and understand how it works it's a breeze to work on.

I'm currently in the process of acquiring all the bits and pieces I need to convert back to the factory 24V which equals spending more money. Next time I buy a truck I'm not messing around with this 12V conversion crap. I'm buying stock.

Last edited:

MT4222

Im sorry but it would much easier to help you if we could understand what you are saying. Could you please use proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure. I also agree you should return it to the proper 24 volt system.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem is, you know what you did to make it 12v. The guy in trouble and no-one else here knows what was done to his truck. Guess you didn't help much either.

OP, your best bet is to start with freshly charged batterys and go from there. Check fuses and relays too(dare I mention the fusible links?) .

irishvin

I went out and changed the batteries and all the fuses. Found out it most likely the starter solenoid. Because it cranked a little bit and died again. then hit the stater with a hammer we'll someone turned the key it sprang to life. Haven't shut it off at all so far made couple of trips to nyc. And charging out put was fine. The first thing im going to do when i have the time is complete change over to 24volts. Thanks guys for the help