• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 dump trailers ???

Richmond

What is it with so many people advertising and using there 101's as dump trailers? I have seen many on CL advertised as dumps and even people on here talking about their M101 dump trailers, these trailers are NOT designed to be used in this way. the tongue was made to hinge up for shipment , not to tilt the bed. this bends the attachment points at the frame and if they are used this way much there will eventually be a failure as it is twisting the steel every time. I just hate to see people mislead and or misinformed especially when its a safety issue.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is designed to fold up, hinging at the front of the box, so it takes up less space for shipping, even when loaded. The parts of the tongue that run under the box become legs for it to stand on. The dumping part, is hard on stuff like wiring, not to mention tail lights. The bed hieght and angle, won't allow it to clean out when dumped, so you drag it foreward on the lights.

GL is not known for the complete accuracy of their descriptions.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M101s were not designed to dump, but their design makes it able to with the removal of a couple bolts.

BE ADVISED: Some folks have permanently damaged their M101 trailers by loading it up with heavy rocks, bricks, etc. and when dumped it messed up the frame of the trailer.

So, my personal opinion, if you need a dump trailer, BUY a dump trailer. Don't mess with the M101 unless you only want to haul cargo in it as normal.

3dAngus

All above is correct. Now the question I have. I have not taken possession of my M1101, but was curious if the M1101 or M1102 has a tilt capability like the predecessor, M101 series. Anyone know?

3dAngus

They do not appear to tilt. Found the tech manual at;

http://www.appliedcompanies.net/documents/TM9_2330_392_14_P.pdf

DH, somehow your link brought me to the top page of the company. Dunno why.

Under body, it talks about repairing aluminum. Does anyone know if the bed is aluminum in lieu of steel. It is unclear when you read about it in the tech manual. Just says use approved aluminum when repairing aluminum and be careful of heat and drilling aluminum. Not specific.

Oh, great. Now your link works and I don't see an edit. Made a liar out of me. Weird!

Second edit here: Looks like the normal edit data with date/time group is not appearing today. Another strange one.

Third edit: Now the edit data with date/time group is showing up.

I'm going back to bed. Maybe if I wake up on a weekday...

Another weird one, when placing the cursor at the end of the line, my banging head does not show up in the edit column, but only shows up in the new message column. Good night, errrr, good morning, but back to bed for me.

Last edited:

wiccantoy

They do not appear to tilt. Found the tech manual at;

http://www.appliedcompanies.net/documents/TM9_2330_392_14_P.pdf

DH, somehow your link brought me to the top page of the company. Dunno why.

Under body, it talks about repairing aluminum. Does anyone know if the bed is aluminum in lieu of steel. It is unclear when you read about it in the tech manual. Just says use approved aluminum when repairing aluminum and be careful of heat and drilling aluminum. Not specific.

Oh, great. Now your link works and I don't see an edit. Made a liar out of me. Weird!

Second edit here: Looks like the normal edit data with date/time group is not appearing today. Another strange one.

Third edit: Now the edit data with date/time group is showing up.

I'm going back to bed. Maybe if I wake up on a weekday...

Another weird one, when placing the cursor at the end of the line, my banging head does not show up in the edit column, but only shows up in the new message column. Good night, errrr, good morning, but back to bed for me.

Thats ok it did the same thing to me..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own an M1101. It has zero capability to dump, either by design, or a "Bubba" method. The bed is made of Aluminun.
So, how do you dump it?aua

Aluminum...

KsM715

What is it with so many people advertising and using there 101's as dump trailers? I have seen many on CL advertised as dumps and even people on here talking about their M101 dump trailers,

This is why \/

Gl has a video showing how to make it dump

So many people have caught onto GL as a place to buy and flip trailers. The general public has no idea what the trailers were designed for. All they know is that GL advertised it as a "dump" trailer so thats how they list it when they try to "flip" it.

3dAngus

I own an M1101. It has zero capability to dump, either by design, or a "Bubba" method. The bed is made of Aluminun.

emmado, (or anyone else) I was trying to research the weight of that aluminum bed. Any ideas? I found the weight of the axles, and the total weight of the trailer, but not the aluminum bed by itself.