• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Radial Tire Conversion

kallisti5

I have an M101 with heavily dry-rotted / cracked 900x16 tires. The bed is rusted out a bit in the corners, but otherwise it's in ok shape.
The thing isn't super useful for me with the current tires... i've hauled some lightweight stuff in it in years past, but haven't really wanted to put much weight on given the tire situation.

I've been trying to find a cheap radial solution... I think I have a good combonation, but it feels a bit ridiculous. Posting here for feedback :)

A little research shows the 2007 VW Rabbit had the 5x112 wheel lugs (and is the "cheapest" car I can find that had them so I can get "cheap steel wheels")

So...

(prices and website not included to keep from breaking forum rules)

16 inch rims. 5x112 lug pattern, 6.5" width.
Kuhmo LT235/85R16 tires

trailer.png

That gets me out the door just under $500 mounted + delivered. My only real concerns:

What's the load rating for that rim?
235/85R16 on a 6.5" wide rim? I think the minimum safe is 6"

Does this sound like a horrible idea, or a good one?

Last edited:

kallisti5

Side note.. I tow it with a M1009 via pintle + M/T 31x10.50r15 tires . Thinking i might have a slight height mismatch? (the 235's are shorter than the 900x16's I've read.

The 2007 VW Rabbit wheels are also "High Positive Offset" :-| Maybe a spacer is also needed? Pretty much every 5x112 wheel I see is high positive.

Last edited:

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you said 9.00-16 I’m assuming you have a US m101 and not an m101 CDN 1/4 ton. Those wheels are not going to fit a stock m101 trailer. You can put the radial tires on the stock wheels with the proper tubes.

kallisti5

Since you said 9.00-16 I’m assuming you have a US m101 and not an m101 CDN 1/4 ton. Those wheels are not going to fit a stock m101 trailer. You can put the radial tires on the stock wheels with the proper tubes.
Correct. US M101.

Out of curiosity, what wouldn't fit about them if the bolt spacing was correct (5-112) and the width was reasonable? Collision with the hubs?
I've read putting radial tires on bias rims is generally a bad idea. (Radial lean outward more and put a lot of extra pressure on the snap ring)

I could just try to find a set of new 900-16's, but not looking forward to spending $600+

Last edited:

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolt pattern is much larger on the trailer. I believe 5-112 may fit the Canadian m101 1/4 ton trailer. The US m101 bolt pattern is 5 on 6 7/8”.

kallisti5

The bolt pattern is much larger on the trailer. I believe 5-112 may fit the Canadian m101 1/4 ton trailer. The US m101 bolt pattern is 5 on 6 7/8”.
Ah. damn! Thanks for the heads up. I found the 5-112 spec online, and I was kind of in disbelief that rims for a VW Rabbit would fit. That confirms why I had a nagging "that doesn't seem right". I'll bring some calipers out to the M101 and confirm the spacing next time I'm near it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks