• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 to M116A2 cargo bed swap

jpace12345

I currently have a 1965 M101 trailer that needs tires. I'm contemplating getting either a whole new axle or complete chassis from a M101A2 or M116A2 and swapping in the new axle, or swapping over the older cargo bed. Do these two trailers have compatible axles or cargo beds?

papakb

Your 1965 101 will probably have Budd 5 lug wheels on it left over from M37 days. The A2 series trailers all got the 8 lug wheels and axles and the surge brake conversion to tow behind the CUCVs. When they began converting the A2s to A3s they added fender extensions and a widened drop axle to track behind the HMMWV, so they're about a foot wider and 6" taller than the A2s. If there is a seam running along the fender it is a conversion and will have the same internal wheel well opening as the earlier trailers. If it's a manufactured A3 then it will have about 8" more space between the wheel wells internally. The bed from your older trailer will fit the 101A2 or A3 frame or the 116 trailers but you might want to find a newer box. One of the biggest problems with the early 101 trailers was they would rust out along the front edge of the box because snow and rainwater would pool there and when they were stored no one seems to have thought to raise the front of the trailer so the water would run out the back. The A3s that I've seen all have galvanized cargo boxes that slow down or stop that rust out problem.

Something else you'll notice on the A3 trailers is that all the frames have the M116A3 data plate on them and then the cargo box will have the M101A3 data plate. It can be confusing because they don't always have the same serial number on them.

Last edited:

DeadParrot

You can get modern tires for those rims. There are forum threads on the subject. Best to go to a truck stop as they have the proper tools and knowledge to deal with the rims. I got lucky on mine, the guard unit installed two brand new tires just before sending it to surplus. Still had the tread nibs.

There are front edge drains on the A1s but they are easily clogged by almost anything. Like papakb said, store the front end high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks