• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 underbed spare mount?

papakb

Has anyone on the list made or seen a spare tire rack that would mount under the rear of the bed on a 101 trailer? I'd rather mount it there than add the weight to the tongue with a front mounted spare. It means the rear landing leg would have to be removable but I believe this is a better place to put a spare.

I have an M996A1 ambulance and so I can't mount a spare on the back of it and think the trailer bed is the only solution.

Thanks,

Kurt

deucebigalo

I too have wondered the same thing, I never actually tried doing it, but I have gotten under the trailer and looked at positioning a spare behind the axle, but it appeared to be too samll of an area to fit it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear landing leg is there for a reason - remove it, plus the weight of the tire, and the trailer won't be very stable, when parked, especially when somebody tries to crawl in the back!. They tip over backwards. The tongue is the place for it.

Lee

Nick

Also depends on if you want to use it for dumping or not. If you dont, you might be able to use the cable style spare mounting, towards the front of the axle, near the frame pivot. Theres a very long thread on using one of the spare tires cables from a pick up truck found at a junk yard.

2cents, just put it on the tongue. Looks better, easier access, better for towing with the extra tongue weight

Nick