• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Home Again

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just pulled in the driveway bringing my M1010 home after some fine work by BARRMAN. New paint and a rebuilt IP and it's like I have a new (to me) vehicle. It's a shame to get rid of it now that it's all perty'd up.

A little too pooped for detailed pics tonight but here's 1 until tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it home ok. How did it run down the road with the new IP?
Ran great! It's nice not to have the "lost pedal" issue when you slow down now.

As promised, here's some more pics. The 1st one shows the Red Cross panels. The left ones show Tim's new paint job and the right ones show what the other side looks like. We're doing an exhibit at the San Antonio Car Dealers show Wed through Sunday so I'm going to try and get the Crosses repainted before then. The smallest panels are for the caduceus symbols and those are going to be a little trickier to paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started working on the Crosses this afternoon. I sanded down the smallest panels which are where the US Medical Corp emblem goes. Unfortunately I'm going to have to make a copy of the symbol off the net and try and cut a stencil out for it. Not the easiest thing since it's got so many curves in it but I don't really have another option. I then painted those white so they're ready for the stencil.

I'm only going to do one of the small Crosses right now so I can see how they turn out. It looks like the originals were laid out freehand as they're not particularly square. Probably a cardboard cut out that was just laid over the panel and then painted. It may have been a re-do and the original ones were squared but mine aren't now. I did tape them off square so part of what was red will now be white and vice-versa. I'm leaving the majority of the red for the lay out but painting the white first, let it dry, then go back and paint the red again.

Last picture is with the white paint done (not red) and one of the old, unfinished Crosses.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the caduceus done. They're a long way from perfect but better than what was there which was nothing. I still need to stencil US on it but had to see how it looked on the truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't look like I'll have time to finish the side Cross panels so they're just going as-is and I'll worry about them after the show.

One thing BARRMAN can confirm is that 1 gallon of Rapco Tan CARC substitute will not cover this entire truck adequately (and I was too cheap to buy 2 gallons). That meant that a few areas that weren't "appearance" areas had to be passed over. One of those was the stairs leading into the ambulance box. The fix for that was some Behr Exterior latex. Looks to be a good match.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told you not to pull the ladder out....
I probably wouldn't have for a while but the Alamo MVPA is setting up at the San Antonio Auto Dealers Show and, while I'm no longer a member, they were short vehicles so asked if I could help out. The 1010 is whole lot easier moving around new cars than the deuce is.

I took one of the small AC panels down to Home Depot for the paint match. It came out perfect on the stairs so I've got almost of quart of touch-up paint now.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got set up at the San Antonio Auto Dealers show this morning. We're directly across from the street rods so see how well we draw compared to them. There were a couple of vehicles that dropped out so I set the camo net up as a triage spot to fill some of the room. I really wish I had been able to get the large Crosses finished but guess they'll just have to wait for next time.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys.

Ian, you're more than welcome for a visit. Just fly in and drive home. I'm sure you could use another 1010.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks