• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1010 wont start

highrider1345

i have a 1985 m1010 with 8800 miles that i took the ambulance back off and am putting a truck bed on and i cant get it to start or even crank over at all out of nowhere i don't know if it could be the starter solenoid ? the guy who had it before me wired it weird so i have to physically plug in the solenoid to
start it does anyone have any ideas as to why it wont crank over now i hear the starter trying to turn any feedback would be much appreciated,
thanks eric

Westech

CPL
"the guy who had it before me wired it weird so i have to physically plug in the solenoid to"

There is your problem. Yet again someone tries to improve the cucv wiring and now look.. it DONT WORK! Get the TM and read up on it and start tracing wires. When some fool gets in to fixing it him self your F'ed to put it nice. Not a lot anyone can do for you typing over the net. Just time to put your skils to the test and fix it.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny:

Unfortunatly there is no real way to answer, not knowing how the truck is REwired. Sorry. Westech hit the nail right on the head with tracing out the wires.

kenny

Was it starting and running before you took the box off?
I have done the same to a 1010 and know there is a crap load of wires going to the box.Make sure you still have 24 volts going to the starter.

Last edited:

highrider1345

yup it was running great before i took off the back and the starter has power i suess the solenoid was bad so i replaced it and the ignition works to start it again but the starter clicks but wont turn over the motor and i just put 2 new optima batteries this morning

kenny

yup it was running great before i took off the back and the starter has power i suess the solenoid was bad so i replaced it and the ignition works to start it again but the starter clicks but wont turn over the motor and i just put 2 new optima batteries this morning

Jump it with a screw driver on the starter or get a remote starter from your local parts store and try it directly at the starter .......if still no start and if still just a click sound pull the starter and test it with jumper cables from the battery closest to the fire wall."There is 24 volts at that battery"

Last edited:

91W350

Double check the connections at the posts and ground. Also it is possible you bought a bad battery, I have seen new ones that would not hold a charge.

highrider1345

thanks to everyone for your help! it was the starter relay and the starter was bad also anyone know where i can find that 24v starter easily and kinda quick? i got the bed on now and really want to play some still while theres still a bunch of snow lol.

ABN173

thanks to everyone for your help! it was the starter relay and the starter was bad also anyone know where i can find that 24v starter easily and kinda quick? i got the bed on now and really want to play some still while theres still a bunch of snow lol.

Pull the old one and have it rebuilt, even if you buy a replacement it is a good idea to have a spare 24V starter.

TyJustice

Getting two of everything!!!! I had a laugh when you mentioned having the starter rebuilt and buying a new one. And having a spare.:-D

My girl friend thinks I am turning into these people with my CUCV parts!(Two of everything):-D

I just tell her... " I would rather have it and not need it!" Than " Need It and not have it, Or it will be 5 days shipping to get it":cry:

Works every time..:wink:

Hoarders - A&E TV :roll: