• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Markings

m37brat

I just picked up a nice 1968 M101A1 Generator trailer and would like to know where I can find the correct markings for this trailer. I am looking for regs or pictures of where the uniy markings. reg mumbers and star should go. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Baron3-6

Not sure what era you are going for but I can tell you that currently, 3/4 ton trailer markings are placed on the back of the box in a similar manner as vehicle bumpers. I've seen some units put the markings on the front of the trailer, but that's probably a 1SG going over-kill. The code should be the same as the vehicle the trailer is normally assigned to, plus a "T" on the bumper number. For instance,

Truck:
20E 307E HQ-402

Trailer:
20E 307E HQ-402T

(This would be a truck and trailer in the S4 shop (supply) of the 307th Engineer Bn.)

I've seen water buffalo's get a "W" and generators get "G", I don't know if these are official from the regs, or something a company XO made-up to be different.

Hope that was of some help.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Markings from 1968

This is my M101A1, just out of my shop a few weeks ago. The markings were found under the newer paint and were etched into the bare steel. I remarked it, except for the unit, exactly as it was when built. Not shown is a 9" star on the curb side front centered up and down and 9" from the edge of the bed. You can see this star on the bare steel.

Attachments

m37brat2

This is my M101A1, just out of my shop a few weeks ago. The markings were found under the newer paint and were etched into the bare steel. I remarked it, except for the unit, exactly as it was when built. Not shown is a 9" star on the curb side front centered up and down and 9" from the edge of the bed. You can see this star on the bare steel.
The trailer I am doing is also a 1968. It was a generator set and I am hoping I will be able to get the generators back with it. How did you remove the paint so that the numbers were still visible? I can make out most of the numbers on the back but have been a little worried if I use a striper or sander I will loose all of the detail.

Thanls for the help.

Jim

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you remove the paint so that the numbers were still visible? Jim
It was plastic media blasted. Expensive process but it does not "open" the steel. The metal remains smooth, not rough like sand or grit blasting. It seems the old markings etch the steel over time. I found the same type of numbering in the steel when I blasted my M-715.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks