• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 or M101A2?

Dodge man

I found someone that has a M101A2 trailer and I've paid a deposit on it. Later he told me that he has a M101A1 trailer at his farm and that is uses the same wheels as my M-37 and he's offered it to me instead of the M101A2 for the same price. The A2 was made in 1986 IIRC and uses 8 bolt wheels. I don't know when the A1 was made but I'm guessing that it's much older. From what he said, the A1 trailer has troop seats and the bows but the A2 was set to carry a generator however the A2 does has surge breaks which I like, I doubly like them considering how poor the brakes on M-37s are!

So which one should I get? DID some of the A1 trailers come with troops seats?? What would have to be done to put the 5 bolt hubs from the A1 trailer on the A2 trailer or is it even possible? What is each one worth? By any chance are the top bows and troop seats compatible with an M-37? I've been looking everywhere for those but can't find any close by and they cost a fortune to ship.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have never seen a M101 anything with troop seats. The 101a1 used the same bows and 5 hole Budd with 9:00 16 as a M37, 101A2 use a standard 8 bolt rim and radial tire as Dodge or Chevy PU's have used for the last 30+ years. The brakes on a A1 are just for parking if it doesn't have a surge, there were very few made that did. Some "generators" 3/4T trailers have a flat bed . If you are going to use it with a M37 or M715 the 101a1 would be more proper, if using with a later model truck or to work the M101a2 would be my choice. Bottom go look and see which one you like better. 1st is a A1, 2nd is a A2, 3rd is really a 1 1/2 ton generator flat bed but the design is the same as a 3/4 ton just bigger.

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

Generally MVMULES said everthing about the M101 trailer you need to know. I agree, troop seats on that trailer: never ever. Even in the 1970s, when the soldiers in Germany modified almost anything to their needs, nobody had the idea to install troop seats on that trailer. Any kind of shelter / plywood box, ok, they did as well as they put plywood shelter on the Deuce for any kind of application.
The bows of my trailer are 25 cm higher than the original, so it looks better behind a M715. And I can use the same canvas.:p
Wolf

Dodge man

I was skeptical about the troop seats too. I've never seen or hear of them in a trailer so I'm not sure what he was talking about. Thanks

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have seen folks cut down Duce and CUCV troop seats and rig them in a trailer. Maybe that is what happened. Make sure you take pictures when you go look at them and follow up.

Wolf.Dose

one more fact for or better against troop seats on a trailer in germany in use by the US-Army: Even for the US-Army at least from the mid 1950's it was illegal to haul any troops on a trailer for safety. Before it was possible for bus trailers in Germany were legal under certain circumstances. But the US-Army never to my information needed to haul any personal on a trailer. They had more than enough trucks and busses.
During the WWII there are some pictures know with personal sitting on a loaded trailer. However, only for short distances and for the boys were to lazy to walk....
Wolf

CGarbee

Actually, the bow corners used on the M37 and the M101 series are different, but you can interchange them, just be aware that the hardware (straps and clips) used to retain the side curtains when you roll up the cargo cover sides on the M37 are different as a result (not a problem, just be aware when you are purchasing parts...).

Some cargo trailers had gensets installed. Some of them have a M37 style gas tank mounted under the bed, some just had a bunch of jerry cans mounted in the bed (mostly on the wheel wells). Almost all of them had extra gear (light mast, cable reels, etc) mounted in addition to the gensets, so you have a lot of holes drilled in the beds... I have one that has had the generation equipment removed, the holes while present do not detract from the usability of the trailer.

M101 and M101a1 use the same brake backing plates, shoes, etc, as the M37, actuation is mechanical and is for parking only. I know a couple of folks who have installed the M37 disc brake conversion and the surge setup from a M101A2, but I think that that is way overkill. I tow my M101A1 behind my Cummins powered M37 at 77mph with both fully loaded and have no problems stopping straight and smoothly, even when "panic" braking... I do have four wheel discs on the M37. Folks I know with stock trucks seem to have no issues pulling stock trailers as stock speeds...

I'd go with trailer quality first, then look at what I am using as a tow vehicle. M101A2 has the late model hubs and surge brakes, so it works well behind a CUCV or similar. M101 or M101A2 (I've had both), work well behind a M37. M715 has a differnt lug pattern, but there is a funky adapter to allow one to use the six lug M715 rim on a M101/M101A1 although it is rare, and most everyone that I know just mounts a M37 spare tire bracket (the bed mounted one) on the front bedwall of the trailer (front side) and finds a M37 rim for a spare.

Not mentioned, but there is a M101A3, it has the same hub/rim combo as the HMMWV.

Good luck. Let us know which one you end up purchasing.

Wolf.Dose

My M101A was a generator trailer with a fuel tank of about 25 gal underneth it, filler néck at the right side. I removed all the generator equipment that was letft and welded on a lot of holes to close them. Instead the fuel tank I installed a Germen truck spare whell hoist and built a mount to fix a 5 stud spare wheel in the location of the fuel tank. It works fine. And I habe a fitting spare wheel any time available with the propper tire pressure. On the front wall I installed a jerry can mount where I have a water can mounted to which I fixed a tab. So I have running water any time. I also fixed a battery mount in that area, so I have o lightning installation on the trailer for my doughters when they join a meeting and sleep on the trailer in folding beds which I also installed there.
Wolf