• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Progress

Ty Robbins

Primarily for cargo around the place and cargo for camping. Won't be putting a tent or anything permanent on it. Want to be able to take the racks off and put the rails back to get firewood and such...

Ripcord01

looks good. Tents are temp. shelters! You got the cover, throw you a water jug in there some MRE's a used cot, and you got you a camping trailer.. Nothing to permanent. What you pulling that with? Did you convert the lights and all?

Ty Robbins

Ripcord, fair enough on tents, I was talking about those folding expedition tents that some folks permanently mount to trailers like this. We have a canvas wall tent and now with two young kids there's no room for it and the other camping gear in our 4Runners. For the record, this thing tows easy with the 4Runners and loaded down hasn't really been a big hit to the mileage. The seller rewired for a 4-plug and it works great ) although I will be improving his splices and doing some industrial heat shrink on his wiring job. Only thing missing is a plate light, but we're not in a rush for that. For now we've got the plates on heavy duty magnets and slap it on when we take it out.

Ripcord01

The RTT are over priced. I pull mine with a Tacoma and love it..the M101's are great to tow. I have not noticed that big of a hit on the gas mileage either.. I changed the lights on mine to civi. submittable. put some silicone in the corners and seal the inside and these trailers are said to float... You going to paint it?

Ty Robbins

RTT? We want to convert the axle to match the tow vehicle hubs (once the tread on these new mil-spec tires needs replacing), and when that happens we'll blast the whole thing, powder coat the chassis, and paint/line the tub. Then it should be set for another 40 years of service. From the stock number, this one is from the mid 60s.

Last edited:

Metternacht

RTT = Roof Top Tent. a self contained tent that attaches to a roof rack and folds out to deploy, cool expensive and not nearly big enough for me. Besides at o dark early i don't want to try and navigate a ladder while rushing to pee behind a tree :)

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m101 camper

Ty, your trailer is looking good. About your tool boxes, you said 175 dollars. Is that bought or did you build them for that. If bought , where at. My son is going to build one also.

Thanks, Ron

Ty Robbins

Update on the tool boxes...

The seller is very hard to work with and seems inept. I ordered two boxes, they sent four. I left two in the box and contacted the seller who had Fed-Ex come pick the extra ones up.

Then I installed the remaining two boxes and found that the lock is not functional on one of the boxes. At first the seller wouldn't correct the issue - just offered to refund $25 of the purchase price. When I said that was unacceptable, they said they'd fix it if I paid to send the defective unit back to them. When I said that was unacceptable, they said the only thing they'd do is refund me the shipping IF the lock was truly not working.

All this AFTER, I let them know about their original duplicate merchandise mistake.

The boxes fit really well, but are aluminum, very soft aluminum; I am not sure how much abuse they'll be able to take - the locks may be irrelevant given how easy it is to pry the aluminum. Also, they were all keyed alike, and I am suspicious if they have different keying at all.

A seemingly good deal, but I am a bit dubious now. Buyer beware, your mileage my vary.

Ratch

I like the tool boxes. They look good at least, even if it seems that they're poor quality... I'm not crazy about the space they take up, though. I'd like to see if they can be mounted to the exterior of the trailer cargo box. That might work out pretty good on a later A3 with the wider fenders.
Were they marketed as fitted for the M101, or is it coincidental that the fender angle seems to match up well?

I'm sure you'll read it elsewhere also, but try not to breathe in too much carc dust when you refinish the trailer.

Looks good, good luck!

Ty Robbins

The angles don't quite match up, it's entirely coincidental. They were originally marketed as boxes to go under semi-trailers to store chains and such, which is why they open from the side not the top, then this seller figured out they could sell them as pickup truck tool boxes. From their photos it doesn't seem like they work very well in a pickup with rounded wheel wells and such.

Thanks for the tip on the refinishing. I may have the sand blasting done for me.