• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 sp-97 California DMV

rreng

Hi, I'm a new guy and just picked a M101A1 from the DRMO/GL. I looked at the forms section to request a SP-97 on this trailer. The data plate on the trailer gives a manufacturer's # of 44893, but the DRMO stickers give this # and another # 008986779 (the printing is bad on each sticker on the trailer, but it looks as if it might be VIN or SN in front of this longer #). Since the only permanent # on the trailer is 44893, is this the VIN required for the SP-97? Also manufacturer is blank and so is the year. Any help or suggetsions as to what to put on their request form would help.

Also, in California, is a SP-97 necessary or will a verification of the data plate by DMV/CHP along with the GL signed invoice work?

Thanks again.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Pick a manufacturer and a year, stamp it on the data plate then fill out the SF 97 form with that info so that everything matches. You will need the SF 97 form and a verification at the DMV. If nothing matches then you'll have to get a CHP inspection also.

Exactly what DJ said.

Make sure you fill out the SF97 exactly correct to what is on the trailer. If nothing is on the trailier...Pick something. Make the year of MFG old as you can if it is not on the plate. There is a cutoff in years where less than ? digits is acceptable for the VIN. Both mine fall into that, I chose 69 & 70 for the years.

Just make sure the number is on the trailer,and it matches what you submit to the DMV(SF97).

If you are a member of the auto club (AAA), they can verify the vin and do the inspection for you. It might be worth the membership if you plan to purchase more in the future. Much easier to deal with.

Nick

When I did my 52 M101, thats exactly how DMV did it. They wouldnt register it without seeing it, so they looked on the data plate and used the numbers off it. I didnt even hafta do a SF 97, they got all the info off the data plate. They also used a number welded on the a frame as an id number

and this was with a 1951 license plate, with a 52 tab, for the YOM registration. no problems at all

Last edited: