• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Cargo Trailer Surge Brakes

jtpasto

Do the surge brakes on these trailers have some kind of a lockout mechanism so they don't come on when backing up a hill? In the past I had a heck of a problem backing my boat trailer up the driveway.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the surge assemblies on the A2's have a hole through the sides, not sure if it's to lock them out or what,
but that is what i'm thinking it's for. Two of mine have the hole, one did not. Have not tried it yet.

Engine5

Not sure about the M101A2 I would have to look at it. But the boat trailer should have a hole going through the tongue for a pin to be inserted. You will kick the snot out of your brakes if you do not. I have the same set up on my boat trailer. As soon as I back up 1 foot or so the brakes start to drag real bad then stop. Once you find the hole, get a pin and put it on a short cable so you have it on the trailer all the time. Do not use the safety pin from the latch . Bad things happen when that is taken out.
I seen a guy switch them then so he could back down the ramp. He backed down the ramp without the safety pin on the latch so he could back up/down. Weight shifted, trailer popped up,no safety chain on, lower unit smashed into the ground, trailer and boat came back down taking out the rear quarter of his brand new Escalade. Sometimes it's more fun to hang around the ramp then it is fishing.

papakb

My M101A2 has a pin on a piece of jack chain that gets inserted into the coupler when backing up. It effectively locks the hydraulic cylinder keeping the brakes from actuating.

Kurt

Reactions: 319