• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Hitch question

Cummins guy

Has anyone had any problems with bending a pintle-hitch mount when towing with a M101A2?

I'm using an Inventive XD hitch system and have now bent two hitch platforms. Spoke to someone on trailers and they said my pintle hook may be too small- It's about 2" from opening to opening. The lunette ring fits in the hitch and closes with no problems and no issues are due to the weight or load distribution.

Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know the pintle hitch opening on a M1008 or M1009 truck to compare to?

Last edited:

treeguy

If the LUNETTE ring is too tight on the PINTLE hitch then it could twist when the trailer goes over (left and right) bumps in the road. Some people say, just cause it fits doesn't mean its right. I've noticed that mil. lunette rings are pretty big, so is you hitch to small or are you off roading without a swivel pintle hitch? BTW, what vehicle are you towing it with?

3dAngus

I can't even imagine a military M101 trailer pintle getting bent. That's gotta take some doing. I would love to see a picture of it.

Cummins guy

Ok I will post some pics tomorrow, But I am towing it with a 2010 Ram 4X4 2500. The trailer has not be modified other than larger tires (285/70/17 the same size as my truck so I don't have to carry a spare for the trailer). Yes the platform the that pintle hitch mounts to on the truck. It is rated at 10k pounds. I think it is binding when I am turning and reversing. The first 1 I bent was on the street in front of my house with no wieght in the trailer, the second one was 2 days later on a trip from Viginia to Michigans UP. I did hear some poping but nother that I have not heard when towing other trailers with hog rings.
Thanks

Nonotagain

Has anyone had any problems with bending a pinto-hitch mount when towing with a M101A2?

I'm using an Inventive XD hitch system and have now bent two hitch platforms. Spoke to someone on trailers and they said my pinto hook may be too small- It's about 2" from opening to opening. The liutenant ring fits in the hitch and closes with no problems and no issues are due to the weight or load distribution.

Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know the pinto hitch opening on a M1008 or M1009 truck to compare to?
It's PINTLE and LUNETTE.

Spelling aside, the hitch design leaves a lot to be desired.

There is nothing keeping the pintle mount to riser bar together. Just slapping a 3/8" plate with a couple of captive pins in the pintle does nothing to transfer the side load into the riser bar.

3dAngus

Oh, OK. Then if I have it correctly, and didn't misunderstand (it happens) what you just said, you jack knifed it. Easy on the turns and problem is solved if I understand correctly. And that goes double for when backing up.

Cummins guy

Ok I did not jack knife it I thought I did when the first one bent, but I didn't. It would have hit the bumper of the truck and it did not hit....

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your pintle hitch at the same height as the trailer pintle ring(with trailer level)? Were you backing up on a level location?

Ripcord01

Sounds like maybe there is some cheap metals being used. On my setup for towing.,I have a military grade pintle hook that is attached to a riser hitch. I have never had any problems with twisting or bending whether it be under load or not. You might try a different setup.. Good luck.

koolex11

GREASE. They do pinch and twist the riser plate. It happened to my brother. Harleyhouse came up with a good solution. I copied it and it has been great so far. Take off the lunette then find a trailer shop and have them weld an adjustable coupler channel. It will cost you $150 or so, but then you can use a ball hitch and lower the coupler to fit your truck.

Attachments

treeguy

Don't the 105 trailers have a swiveling lunette, or do they just flip to get different heights? The point is, something in the link has to swivel. The ball set up works to a point because the ball can accept a certain degree of L/R twisting. This is probably why the BIG rig pintles swivel, ever seen you local electric co or excavating trucks with theim. AW direct and many other distributers offer them, but if your Ram is using a 2" receiver then I don't know what to say. Maybe a larger pintle or smaller lunette.

quickfarms

The lunette on the m101 does not swivel.

The pintle hook on the trucks from 3/4 ton up swivel

The only luentte that swivels is on the 1/4 ton trailer

The pintle hook on the jeep is fixed.

Chief_919

Are you using a real pintle hook, or one of those pintle/ball combos?

The combo ones will bind up at unusual angles, and can cause a lot of strees when they pop loose from the bind.