• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2 Spring Help

Robertp4316

I recently purchased this trailer as an overland trailer. Eventually we plan on re-axling it but for the time being I'm looking for spring help. I'll never put the weight this 3/4 ton trailer requires on it. Right now it bounces all over the place. I do have Rancho shocks coming to replace the stock ones that are worn out. I'm looking into removing leafs from the spring pack to soften the ride. But which leafs should be removed? Bottom one? One or two from the center pack? I really would appreciate any help or advice on this.Screenshot_20220503-192436_Facebook.jpg

Jeepadict

I've found in motion metropolitan areas there seems to be at least one shop that specializes in suspension components...from lift kits to re-springing tow trucks. I would seek such a shop out and bring the trailer to them to examine.

I have 2 A3 chassis trailers...one with a MEP installed, and one with the utility box as yours does. It's been my experience that proper air pressure in the tires and good shocks will mitigate all the bounce you're describing and you can move forward without the added maintenance complication.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Robertp4316

I've found in motion metropolitan areas there seems to be at least one shop that specializes in suspension components...from lift kits to re-springing tow trucks. I would seek such a shop out and bring the trailer to them to examine.

I have 2 A3 chassis trailers...one with a MEP installed, and one with the utility box as yours does. It's been my experience that proper air pressure in the tires and good shocks will mitigate all the bounce you're describing and you can move forward without the added maintenance complication.

This A2 being 3/4 ton is about like taking a bass boat trailer and putting a kayak on it lol. It pulls straight there's just not enough weight to flex the springs. Tires are at about 32 psi and I've got new gas shocks on it.

Jeepadict

This A2 being 3/4 ton is about like taking a bass boat trailer and putting a kayak on it lol. It pulls straight there's just not enough weight to flex the springs. Tires are at about 32 psi and I've got new gas shocks on it.
My A3 vs your A2 is like comparing a blonde to a blonde...the differences are few and inconsequential. "3/4 ton" doesn't have the same meaning with these trailers as someone would refer to as a 2500 pickup being called a "3/4 ton"...these trailers have a 2,250 lb capacity, so logic doesn't apply here anyways.

My 101A3 and my 116A3 both have matching wheels and tires to my 2500 Suburban and K25. Everything runs at 80 psi on E Load BFGs. It really doesn't matter full or empty, they both behave the same unless on some nasty horrific road which anything is going to bounce around...which all around is well behaved.

These are general utility designed trailers intended to be used & abused while still surviving to living another day. If you're wanting something to ride super smooth, you may find yourself happier with a commercial offering specific to your intended use.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, the A3 has stronger springs than the A2, but whatever.

OP, I would pull the bottom 3 or 4 springs and see how the ride is for you. You could try counting how many are in the pack and pulling half depending on your idea of ride quality. It just takes time to get it right.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would wait and see how much your final version of add-ons to your build weighs.
Portable generator, fuel and water cans, tools, etc can all add up fast and is usually all heavier than expected.
The last thing you want is to have the bump stops banging themselves to death due to weaken springs.
Better to have and not need, than need and not have. (Weight Capacity).

Both of mine ride great with 45psi so I’m not sure why yours is “bouncing around” with 35psi.
I haul mine on and off pavement regularly, loaded and empty, and our county’s roads are horrible.
It will let you know when you hit a deep rut or hole (like any trailer would) but otherwise rides and tows fantastic.

Best cargo trailers the military ever fielded, in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks