• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 work & question about stock wheels/tires

JR2980

Well, its been slow going, but finally making progress on the trailer!

Spent the weekend working on the following in prep for my camping trip...(9 days and counting)!

1. Checked the bearings; they looked brand new with lots of brand new clean grease in them! I was amazed at how clean the hubs/drums were - almost no rust at all! And a buddy of mine came through with a replacement grease cap for the one that was all dented and bent up.
  2. Painted the bed with olive green Durabak; it came out looking great!
  3. Started to scrub off all of the GL chalk markings, then ran out of carb cleaner -on a side note, what a pain getting that stuff off! They should just tape a piece of paper on the trailer with all of the info.
  4. Swapped the short chains for cables so it wont bind up anymore when I make sharp turns
  5. Repaired a couple of rips in the vinyl top.
  6. Installed 2 inch spacers/adapters so that I can run the same size wheel/tire as my tow vehicle.

I'm gonna try and hook it up and take it out either this evening or tomorrow evening and drive it around a bit to see if it handles any different with the new tires, and to see how it looks with the tow vehicle. I lost about an inch and a quarter of height with the tires (265/75/16 vs the stock 285/75/16), and I beefed up the suspension on the tow vehicle which got me about another 2 inches there, so the trailer should ride just about level now. I also need to test out the surge brakes - the handbrakes work fine, but I've had the lockout pin in the surge brakes since I haven't had a chance to test them yet. I could go on my trip without them since I wont be hauling too much weight, but would like to unpin them if they work.

Is anyone interested in the stock wheels/tires that I took off? They're just regular steel wheels so nothing special with them, and the tires have great tread left, but are really old. Not sure if its worth trying to get a few bucks for them, or if I should just scrap them.

I'll get some pictures soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks