• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 Replacement brake line for dumping

marcuskolb

I recently bought a few (well, five) M101A2 and M101A3 trailers, and my buddies and I are starting to modify them to dump. Someone said "you need to install a fleixible brake line if you are going to dump a lot." We now know - at least on my M101A3 (reworked in 2009) the number of dumps before you break the brake line is around 10.

It looks like the easiest way to repair this is to replace the forward brake line with a flexible brake line. It looks to be around 5 feet long.

Does anyone know - or want to guess - if Boat Trailer Hydraulic Disc Drum Brake Hose Line DOT 6' would work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too much rubber line in a brake system is not good. Easiest way is to get a generic line at napa that takes 3/16" line at each end and install that near the pivot point. You will need to cut out and reflare the steel lines.

KsM715

If you do alot of dumping with it you'll be replacing the pivot points too, after they fatigue and crack.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/57171-m101a2-dump-lights-conversion.html Look at the pics in the first post in this thread to see how he did his brake lines.

Now for the rest of the stuff I feel obligated to say. 1. you need to add your state to your profile. 2. you need to remove the ebay link. Both per the forum rules

Last edited:

davey8943

KsM715,

I wouldnt see any problems with a "buy it now" link posted above.

Those are more like classified adds than anything, right? It is definitely not an auction, and I am assuming the OP is not the seller.

What rule is that breaking? :?

Dave

KsM715

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

Not my rules. I just follow them

blybrook

On mine, I added a 6" flex line where the previous junction block was (right over the pivot point). I've not had any problems with the brake system or dumping since this modification.

Another poster suggested tractor link ends for the pivot point and I've got a set of Class 1 on order for future upgrade. They should be stout enough to handle the dumping action, only wish that the OP to that suggestion had pictures.

Edit - Have the trailer with me today, so ran out and took a picture of how my flex line looks over the pivot point.

Attachments

Last edited: