• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101s A1,2,3

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1, no brakes, split rims M37 pattern. A2 has surge brakes and CUCV rolling stock. A3 has wider axle with a step in it, wider fenders, surge brakes and HMMWV rolling stock.

Dodge man

The A1 uses M-37 wheels and hubs and brake parts. The A2 uses CUCV wheels. The A3 uses Hummer wheels. (I'm not sure if the hubs on the last two are exactly the same as CUCV and Hummer or not.) Some difference in the location of the parking brake handles but I'm not sure of the details. Also I think there's some differences in the tops. Basically, the three are slightly modified to share wheels and (I think) tops with the intended tow vehicle. I thnk the electrical cable is slightly different on each as well and I think the rear lights are the same style as the intended tow vehicle's. I think the A2 and A3 also have surge brakes but not the A1.

Nonotagain

I won't discuss the 101 or the 101A1 trailer but instead will work with the A2 and A3.

A2 and A3 use hydraulic surge brakes and has two handles mounted on the front of the cargo box for parking brakes.

The A2 uses a straight axle tube with 5 leaf springs, CUCV wheels and tires, and the box is 46" between wheel wells. The frame is listed as being 3", but in the 100 or so trailers I've observed, I've only seen two that were not up-graded to the 4 inch frame.

The A3 uses a stepped axle which rides 5-6 inches higher than the straight tube axle of the A2. The stepped axle is also wider by 10". The A3 trailer frame is 4" and uses a 6 leaf spring pack. The A3 uses the 12 bolt HMWWV wheel with radial tire, though some have been observed with 8 bolt wheels and the old HMWWV bias belted tires. The cargo box on the A3 has lifting eyes on all four corners and reinforcement panels welded on both inside and out side of the box. The width between wheel wells is 55". There also are doublers welded on the bed top rails so that the bed won't cave in when being lifted. The fenders on the A3 trailers completely cover the tires.

There are numerous combos floating around, but the stepped axle, HMWWV tires and wheels are usually A3 trailers no matter what box is mounted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks