• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Cab Wiring Harness/ Electrical issue

USN PILOT POPPER

A week ago I tried to start the M1028 and glow plugs cycled, when wait to start light went out I turned ignition key to start and heard one loud click as the starter momentarily engaged, then nothing but a faint buzzing sound coming from by the fuse panel. Voltmeter pegged out to zero volts. Have now replaced the ignition switch (was extremely hard to turn anyway) after wiggling the key and voltmeter would jump. Completed Doghead relay mod ( wanted to be safe and not sorry).
I checked the electrical and while checking fuses found a couple loose fuses with one melted but not blown. When I inspected the fuse box I have found a couple of the blade holders/connectors loose where they grip the fuse and one is broken.

Can I buy just the connector and replace it? This is the piece that holds the fuse at the blade. Or is the harness available? It is the harness that the fuse box is attached to.
Thanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a wiring harness off of ebay, it was a pull out. I got it for $25 plus s&h.

They are out there. Ebay is your friend for pulled off parts.

Can't answer your question because I have NOT actually used the wiring harness. Opened it when it arrived and it seems ok, but it sits in that box, awaiting usage.

Worst case is you could replace the fuse block, but the wiring harness AND fuse block would NOT be much more work, imho...

USN PILOT POPPER

To replace the fuse box/block I'd have to remove all the wires from the back, given these are 20 plus year old parts I'd have a bunch more broken connectors that hold the fuse in and makes the connection, with that said the plastic box/block is not what appears to be bad , it is the connectors inside the box that are connected to the wires. I know there is a chance to buy a GOOD used part that has not deteriorated to the point that mine has but I was hoping to find a source for parts that I can rebuild the one I have or find a new harness. Thanks

USN PILOT POPPER

Fixed it, I had got a fuse box from Sherco for a veggie oil project and found the connectors in the kit ($4) and was able to pop out the old connector and crimped on the new one popped it into place and now thats fixed. Now off to research why I have to replace another battery within six months. Could be time to install the Optimas. Thanks for the help