• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 charging problem

Keitho

ok so I was driving home from work and my gen 1 light comes on no problem still driving. I go to start the truck the next day and batteries dead as expected. I figure the alternator went bad so replaced it with the autozone one that was in there before. truck was running fine for about 5 mins then gen 1 light came back on. I thought that maybe the alternator I got was junk so switched it out with another but the same thing happened. any ideas what the problem could be. and I notice that the hot wire on the alternator is putting out 55 volts and keeps popping a fuse that's in the hot wire. could it be relay?. electrical is definitely not my cup of tea.

any help is greatly appreciated.

-Keith

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which side alternator is your problem?

Where are your leads when you measure 55 volts? Is your meter set on DC voltage?

Keitho

Driver side alternator. I put the leads on the hot wire in driver side alternator and the ground on the bolt on alternator. and yes its on DC voltage. I was just out there and changed the fuse, the truck ran good for 20 mins and alt. was putting out 14 volts until I shut it off and started it again. the alt. started putting out 55 volts again

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never seen this before.

Perhaps a voltage regulator could cause this, maybe?

What brand of alternators are these?

What part number?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know.

Return it and request it tested?

Keitho

that's the weird thing about it I returned the first one for same issue and had them test that and they said that one was fine, but I exchanged it anyways. now its doing the same thing to the alt. I just got.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't think of anything that could cause it elsewhere on the vehicle.

sneekyeye

This may sound weird, but you could heat up that one alternator with a hair dryer good and hot, and start it to see if when the alternator is hot the voltage regulation fails in some way. This of course isnt going to help your fuse blowing situation though.

sneekyeye

Perhaps its something so simple as a short in the positive wire between the alternator and the battery causing the fuse to blow. The regulator thinks the battery is at zero volts all of a sudden and maxes itself out trying to charge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks