• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 CUCV Engine Swap

Reborn756

Howdy folks! Got a question regarding engine swapping a CUCV. Truck currently still has the original 6.2L in it.

Now I actually love the little 6.2L. Makes all the power I need and gets decent fuel economy (truck still has the 4.56 rear gears, stock size tires, TH400). I have no intentions on swapping it any time soon. I however do understand that someday, this thing will inevitably come unglued. Truck has just over 13,000 original miles, so it'll be a good long while.

What I am trying to do is collect data on my best options for engine swapping. My only real requirement is even better fuel mileage while making at least the same power as the 6.2L. Iof course intend to swap the transmission as well to help reach that goal. So my question to you folks, who have done engine swaps is: Which one is going to get me the best fuel mileage, last the longest, while still making at least the stock power numbers?

I would prefer to stay with an engine that either has no or limited computer controls. Some options I'm looking at so far are:

4v53 or 6v53 Detroits
Shoe-horning in a 3116 or similar series CAT engine
Older 4BT or 6BT Cummins
P400 Optimizer
Another good 6.2L/4L80e combo

Any recommendations you folks can give would be appreciated!

-Darryl

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive kinda been thinking the same thing , Mine has 29K miles and I believe it has a rod knock, These diesels are noisy and I didn't realize the knock was a rod or whatever.. Now I pretty sure it is.. I paid big $$ for the truck and called the dude who sold it to me, He said Yeah The previous owner thought it was a rod also and sold it to him... I pray for that dude ..anyway . So I'm making a payment on a vehicle with a rod knock & no spare time ( I work 6 days a week) . BUt Life is Good! I was thinking of having the crank cross drilled , balance the rods and pistons, stud everything that can be done, port and polish and see how long it will last......

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My father had a 66 Chevy C20 with a 453 and later a 76 Ford F250 with a 453T. Both trucks did well for their time period but neither was impressive in the power department. I've looked into swapping in an aluminum 6V53T into my M1028 Wrecker but the newer 6.5 Turbo engines can produce enough for me and bolt right in there, no mods needed.

I'll be bolting in a 6.5 Turbo with a 4L80E once I'm ready. I'd really like to go the 6V53T route but I don't think it gets me enough more HP/Torque than the 6.5T to justify the work/modification needed.

Regardless of what route you go take some pics along the way znd post them for the rest of us. Good luck.

20210619_165708.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks