• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 off road

detroitmuscle1986

Well, we are taking our m1028 to All Wheels Off road park in Lewiston maine. It should be interisting being the truck is stock, running 255/85-r16 KM2's. I will post some pics soon.

91W350

If you have not run it off road before, I think you will be impressed with just how much it will do and how smooth that 6.2 moves it around. She is no hotrod, but she sure is smooth at what she does. Glen

detroitmuscle1986

yeah i will be sure to post pics. With the np205 the 4-wheel low isn't all that low, but im sure she will still do fine. Plus, having the locker in the rear and the posi in the 60 we should get around pretty well. we have a few nice trials on our property that we take the truck down, so im really curious jsut how deep in the woods shes gonna take us. Thanks for the comments. KEEP'EM COMIN! Rich.

rnd-motorsports

Mine has the 208 case and low is great. was sort of upset it didnt have the 205 but after driving it I like the lower low in the 208. You will love the truck offroad I lost mine to the wife she drives it more then her car anymore :driver:

detroitmuscle1986

alright, so we jsut got back from our trip. The truck ran awesome, and performed just as well. The drivers side hub is making soem weird noises... im thinking it may be the U-joint. It's probably time i replace the front u-joints and the ones in the front drive shaft. other than that it was a blast!!! We went places i never imagined it would have taken us. Well, i will be posting some videos soon.

DokWatson

hopefully its just dirt. It shure was making a nasty CLUNKing and noise when the truck was shifted from foward to reverse, granted its in 4-low but it didn't sound right..
That usually doesn't mean a hub problem. Usually it is one of the rear driveshaft u-joints is bad. It could also just be the extra play from the detroit locker, if you were on any sort of uneven ground it will be more apparent.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF you do take the hub apart, depending on how far you disassemble it, you need to understand the the HUB on any CUCV are NOT the same as it's civi counter part.

I replaced my front brakes from the spindle out. TRUST ME. It's not easy if you don't know the trick.

You can get down to the inner bearing but won't be able to get them out unless you clean out ALL the grease. Look for a key in the nut that holds the bearing in place. You CAN'T SEE the key because it's covered by a flat snap ring type of washer. Once you pry that off and clear out all the old grease you will see the key. Pull it out. THEN you can remove the large nut that hold the inner bearings in place.

And I will tell you, I would agree with the assessment that it's the u-joints, not the hubs. But you won't know until you check the u-joints first. If they are OK, THEN send me a PM if you have any questions regarding dis-assembly.

detroitmuscle1986

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Y-6ILUjo8[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrHy08CUDw[/media]
these are jsut a couple of videos of our awesome weekend! check out the rest at my youtube chanel (detroitmuscle1986)

91W350

Kind of makes you appreciate the old 6.2 a little more.... I like watching the CUCVs working, not just flying through or over an obstacle. Thanks for sharing. Glen

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flat LOVE the chain on the REAR of the truck. EDIT: Ok, watched it a second time and you have chains on front AND the rear. What an excellent idea.

And your is the first I've seen with the lift shackles painted red. I think I like it.

And I LOVE the fact that you ended up going OVER that rock in the first video. The old girl did pretty well for a 25 year old truck, eh?

Those are excellent videos...

detroitmuscle1986

Yeah i thought it looked pretty goos myself. Its a good place to store them adn easy to access. And yes, both bumpers are painted flat black, adn the lift shackler are painted with red lead paint; which is actually orange. She did awesome! Thanks man.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks