• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Transmission grind when put into park

Zero_cool

Hey guys, I have a 1987 M1028 with 20k miles the tranny and T/C work good.
I just noticed that when I put it in (P) that it make a little rattle / grinding noise.
Its not a continuous noise just last for mabey 1 - 2 seconds then stops.
Any ideas what would cause this? And how to fix it?
Thanks in advance, Dano

dependable

Sometimes this happens if in 4wd esp low range, if you put in park and there are tensions between axels, with locker in the back and limated slip in front. If level and soft ground, should not happen. I would not worry about it. If this is happening in 2wd, you may have other problems. Perhaps check tranny and transfer case linkages, ie make sure park position on transmission matches position on steering column with no tension in linkage. This would happen if linkage got bent off road or with fork lift.

papercu

From the papercu -10 "
1. Turn ignition key to off position
2. Shift transmission gearshift lever to “P”( Park)
3. Turn key to lock position
4. Remove key and place in shoe
Wayne 2cents

Zero_cool

Dependable, it does do it in 2 WD and Im on level ground ( black top ) I will check the linkage tomorrow morning. Is this something that could cause more damage if i dont get it fixed right away? What is going on inside that it would make the rattle / grinding noise? ( so i can better understand the problem ) Thanks For the Help I really appreaciate it.
Dano

401-J10

I actually have the same exact problem in my turbo 400 in my jeep truck and I just rebuilt it, although it did it before too. I talked to a guy that really knows these transmissions and he said it pretty much has to be that the linkage is adjusted wrong or a spring in the transmission that actually puts it in park is weak(sorry i can't remember any of the technical terms right now). I think hes right cause with mine if i shift it quickly and really far over it doesn't do it. But fwiw I don't think it actually hurts anything in the trans. I think its already been said but i would make sure the linkage is allowing it to go far enough into park. Hope this helps.

Zero_cool

401-j10 Thanks buddy, I checked the linkage like you and dependable said, from what i can see its not binding or bend, But If I shift it really fast like you said you did, it doesnt rattle / grind so I dont think Im gonna worry about it anymore...Thanks alot guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks