• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 - Wiper makes GPs Toggle

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only recently had this issue which boggles me. My m1028's GPs will toggle sporadically when my wipers are on. It's seems to act up mostly when it's raining (though possibly just the time I'd use the wipers most) but still sometimes when it's dry out. If I let the truck idle until warm with the wipers on it will continue to toggle on/off sporadically disrupting the normal GP toggling cycle. When I get moving and heated up more the toggling returns to normal and only acts up on occasion with the wipers on. I just did a 6 hour drive with it this past week and 4.5 hours into the drive they began to toggle sporadically then stopped.

I have noticed my wipers will also occasionally freeze in the up position regardless of weather then self recover on their own. This problem happens far less than the toggling but may be linked to the other issue. Is it possible the wiper motors are going bad drawing more power causing the GP controller to act up due to the lower voltage? Would a voltage change affect the reading of the thermostat to the GP controller causing it to toggle?

For the record the batteries are 100% and alternators are putting out as they should. A new solenoid, relay, and GPs are installed. I'd like to treat the problem rather than the symptoms but if it keeps acting up with no solution I plan to add a switch to disconnect the GP card while driving as well as a bypass switch so the card doesn't leave me stranded one day.

Video: The truck had been warmed up, sat roughly 3 hours off, then idled about 15 minutes before the video was taken.

https://youtu.be/v-VSoEDuwqg

ke5eua

I'm not familiar with all of this but my edumacated guess would be grounding causing the gp controller to restart along with the rf interference from the wiper motors might be causing it to give false temp readings in turn activating the gp's. As far as the wiper freezing in the up position, have you tried lubing them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks