• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028a1

ChevyFarmTrucks

Wondering what one of these is worth? I have one that the local fire department had 20 some years. It has around 10k original miles on it. Has a flatbed on it. Starts and runs great. 12v system with gear reduction starter. It had around 7k when I got it. Fire department got it with around 5k on it and had it for about 20 years is what the guy thought. I have used it on the farm as a fuel service truck for the last 5 years or so so it sees little use. Anyway any input on a fair asking price would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

I am not sure I can answer that question without seeing it. How about some pictures? And mileage means nothing on these trucks. I seen 4 K trucks in cannibalization points many times. I seen M1010's that had 1500 miles on them stripped out. Value is hard to determine without a thorough inspection and determining what is still good and what is missing and needs replaced. The flat bed does hurt its value if someone is looking for a true M1028A1. Please post pictures or delete the post if it is not allowed. Thank you.

ChevyFarmTrucks

I'll try and post some pictures. As far as condition the only issues are cosmetic, there is one small dent in the front of the hood from??? Cab corners have a 1" diameter hole of rust rest of the truck is straight. Dash has a crack in it and seat has a tear in drivers side. Its fully operational starts up and runs fine has new tires. I have an idea of what a civilian truck of this condition would be worth but not sure what to ask for this do these bring more money? I'm not trying to sell it here (what are the chances someone is close enough to me on this site to come buy it???) I will probably just list it locally but want to know what a good asking price should be.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We are closer than you think, you are less than 2 hours from me and I know several guys between us! Since yours has been modified it is worth about what a civi truck of that class is worth and maybe even a little less as most folks think the 6.2 is a junk motor and that it was 24V scares them also. Does it still have front brush guard and rear mil bumper/ pintle hook??

Last edited:

ChevyFarmTrucks

Truck looks like a civil truck on the outside. The original bumpers have been removed. It has a flatbed that drops down in the rear and chrome from bumper. It's not 24v anymore either. It does still have the communication port or whatever that is on the inside and the forestry sticker on the passenger side other that those 2 things most guys wouldn't even know it was a CUCV. A good running 4x4 1 ton around here probably brings 3k? I don't know. Probably just keep it if that's all its worth. I thought the 1028a1 might have been a little bit more desirable truck.

reaper556

cucv's do NOT bring more than or the same as a comparable civvy version that I've seen. A butchered one will bring even less. Ditto on what cucvrus said about the mileage. Guaranteed your speedo or cluster has been replaced in the past

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cucv's do NOT bring more than or the same as a comparable civvy version that I've seen. A butchered one will bring even less. Ditto on what cucvrus said about the mileage. Guaranteed your speedo or cluster has been replaced in the past
That depends. Most civilian K30s don't have 4:56s. CUCVs do. Most K30 work trucks in the rust belt are long gone where as there are a few M1008s and M1028s that you can pick up from municipalities or local states. Civilian silverado K30s in good shape would obviously bring more but not many of them to begin with in the first place. Of course, the closer to original it is, the more it brings. Most guys aren't buying K30s for the gas mileage either, usually for a toy or a work truck. Just my 2 cents.

ChevyFarmTrucks

I appreciate the feedback. I haven't gotten any pictures taken the truck is currently in a shop out at one of the farms. As far as the miles go. Without a doubt I believe the mileage to be accurate, the steering wheel still has the texture to it and the ribs on the back side are not rounded off like my old 85' Silverado, also the break pedal and foot feed have less wear than my 2012 Silverado with 60,xxx miles. Actually the break and gas pedal has basically no wear whatsoever. I know those are all replaceable parts but someone would have had to intentionally tried to manipulate/replace all those items to make it look like less miles not to mention the engine compartment and how clean it is, just doesn't seem worth the effort to me. The truck had 2 previous owners before me the government and a fire department. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and I expected opinions when I posted here so no offense taken on them.

I think some are looking at this as some truck that's all torn apart and beat up. It's in excellent to mint condition for it's age. Heck I drove it to southern IL last year to pick up a trailer, that was a 900 mile round trip.

As far as making it an original CUCV again I think gathering the parts to do that outside of the bed would be fairly cheap. Heck I have 2 of the grills laying around that I was going to use on other trucks. I'll probably just end up selling my old Silverado seems to make more sense if the price is the same this one means a little more to me anyway and is much more reliable just not as fast..... Maybe someday I'll just do a rebuild on the old truck.