• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028a2 differential drain

319cssb

I was checking or rather replacing the oil in the differentials. I could find a fill but not a drain plug. It looked like there is a channel from one of the cover bolts. There was a bunch of silicone sealer in the bolt holes , and so even with some probing i didnt get any oil to come out. I ended up pumping the oil out. I which i dont like doing. I rather see it drain out by gravity and flush any possible pieces out.
Still curious of how they are supposed to be drained. The M1009 has drain plugs.

n8roro

The m1009 you need to pop the diff cover to drain then you can mop out the thick goop and clean the magnets. The 1028 could be the same, but I'm not sure.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I pull the covers at 50K and change out gear oil, and check for wear, debris. Or if I am in deep water stopped, over my wheels. Then I pull pan to check for water, or pull the fill plug and take a sample, inspect. I also lengthened my vent hoses higher and put on new vent caps. For the price of a gasket or silicon it is wise to check for any problem. Leaking axle seals cause all kind of problems. Fresh 80w90 and you are done.

Rear axle hub seals, pinion seal, if you see no oil leakage then ok.
Front D60 Axle pinion seal, obvious leaking. Inner axle seals, hard to detect leaking gear oil after level lowers below axles. But water intrusion is easily done.

The only time I like to smell gear oil is during maintenance.

Everyone has their own way, and the manual way. But always error on the side of caution. Over information?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks