• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Contact Maintenance Truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have hands on experience using the welder/genset on the contact maintenance truck? I'm seriously considering needing one of these. So serious that the tractor might be on the way out to get one. Just wondering if the welder genset is user friendly and able to work consistently in the field. Welcoming any comments. Also keeping my eyes out for a M887 with the welder.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tired of dragging tools across the yard. Tired of dragging the torches across the yard. Tired of dragging the piddly 110 buzz box across the yard only for it not to work on an extension cord. Tired of moving generators around the yard. Tired of fumbling with other folks tools while helping them out. Tired of forgetting that one tool to complete the job. I'm thining it might just be as useful as the crane. Besides, I can drag it behind me with the crane. Got one?

NEIOWA

You considered on of the welding trl sets? At least 2 different models being retired/replaced by the Army. Both have generator/welder and oxy/ac sets and vises, tool boxes, misc toys and goodies mounted on the trl.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is 2 of them at the meseum i belong to .They work great! The welders are diesel that run off of the trucks fuel tank. The air compressors run off of the welder/gen. They have more tool storage that you could emagine and they still have a place for cargo in the middle. If you get one you'll love it.

M1031-

The gen set works great as long as you make sure you ground it right. Follow the directions for using the PTO! Make sure it's fully engaged. The fun part is running air tools from the compressor, like air powered chain saws.

I was in the middle of requesting permission to modify the layout in the truck, product improvement as it were. My guys kept throwing heavy tool boxes and bags of shovels (carpenters/masons) in the back trying to damage the compressor. I would try to move it forward to the bulkhead and screen off the cargo area. Not sure if it would work, never got to the engineering stage.

And, not to be a real d***head, but I can't help myself sometimes. The box is actually called "SHOP EQUIPMENT CONTACT MAINTENANCE TRUCK MOUNTED" (secmtm for short). Marlboro Volunteers in Ohio has one on a Dodge chassis and another they use as a kitchen trailer. The M1031 is the Chevy cab/chassis, or at least it was when my 1st Guard unit got theiirs delivered about 1990.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M1031-

Brian, you're right on the money. The M031 is a chassis/cab that's equiped with the shop set, contact maintenance. I had the Dodge version as well. It's mounted on the M887 chassis/cab. I've got the TMs for the shop set, Contact Maintenance for the Dodge but haven't checked for the ones on the Chevys.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, resurrecting and old thread. As some of you know I have gained ownership of my former M887 SECMTM. Originally it had the Wisconsin powered welder genset. This is long gone. Since I don't do any welding, I was considering putting a gas powered compressor in its spot. Just how useful is the original stuff? How capable is the original compressor? The tank seems small for operating any air tools. In addition I may add s 2000W Honda genset. trying to make this work for me! Any thoughts or opinions?

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was only a 4kw generator, the M1031 which I have is 12kw, much more useful. The original compressor in both is only 5cfm, and I think the tank is only 20gal, not alot of air but enough to fill tires, etc. A unit such as a lincoln ranger would fit nicely in the back.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be aware that the late M1031's with the PTO driven generator does not have a welder built into the generator, you still have to have a "buzz box" in the truck.

ABN173

Tired of dragging tools across the yard. Tired of dragging the torches across the yard. Tired of dragging the piddly 110 buzz box across the yard only for it not to work on an extension cord. Tired of moving generators around the yard. Tired of fumbling with other folks tools while helping them out. Tired of forgetting that one tool to complete the job. I'm thining it might just be as useful as the crane. Besides, I can drag it behind me with the crane. Got one?
I would tell myself the same thing....anything to justify buying another MV lol

All kidding aside, I think once I retire from the army in a few years and stop moving all around this will be my next purchase.

Dale

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to procure a M1031 through DRMO for the Shaw Railroad. We just got a set of hyrail gear from DRMO (lejeune) and now I need a truck to mount it to. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks