• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Maintenance Box

bshupe

EDIT - I guess these are known as a contact body, thats what Im talking about -

I am picking up an M1031 this weekend and it has the Gen-set/welder/compressor (all functional) in the maintenance box. I am planning to keep all the hardware but I want to convert the truck to a standard M1008 box.

Does anyone know what the box might be worth if selling it outright? Does anyone ever convert from bed to box? I would hate to scrap the thing or worse, turn it into a shed. lol

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

ryan77

I wish you were closer i have a m1008 rust free i want to take the bed off and put a 1031 box on!

Matt1031

You might be better off selling the 1031 complete as-is. If you want a 205 under a 1008 it's easier just to put a civvy/junkyard 205 in a 1008.

1031 uses the later slip yoke style 205. The only reason they used the 205 was because the 208 doesn't have a PTO provision. if you aren't using the box, i'll assume you aren't worried about keeping the pto.
The fixed yoke 205 is highly preferred, so you might be time/money ahead just buying a beater 1008 for the axles and if you really want a 205 vs a 208, source a fixed yoke 205.

From prices I've seen lately, 1031's are worth more (mostly) whole than in parts right now. No welder/torches included is not a dealbreaker because most GL sold 1031's are missing those items anyway.

bshupe

You might be better off selling the 1031 complete as-is. If you want a 205 under a 1008 it's easier just to put a civvy/junkyard 205 in a 1008.

1031 uses the later slip yoke style 205. The only reason they used the 205 was because the 208 doesn't have a PTO provision. if you aren't using the box, i'll assume you aren't worried about keeping the pto.
The fixed yoke 205 is highly preferred, so you might be time/money ahead just buying a beater 1008 for the axles and if you really want a 205 vs a 208, source a fixed yoke 205.

From prices I've seen lately, 1031's are worth more (mostly) whole than in parts right now. No welder/torches included is not a dealbreaker because most GL sold 1031's are missing those items anyway.
I got ya. The problem is that I want all the gear and not the box. I have plans for the PTO, the genset and the compressor so by buying a 1031 and then picking up a 1008 bed I get everything I want for far less than buying all those components separately. The only hitch in the deal is I have to do something with the contact box. As previously mentioned I feel dirty even contemplating taking the thing to a scrap yard but I will need to get some money for it so I can go buy and paint a standard bed.

I have big plans for the PTO and anyone else interested in these can be looking forward to some build threads from me on making good use of that ability on these trucks.

To answer the specific suggestion of just buying a 1008 and then picking up a 205 from the junk yard.... This has been the plan since I first laid eyes on the CUCV class of trucks but there just have not been any on the market (that I have been able to find) in my area. I have tried to work deals on a couple of 1008s from as far away from me as GA but for various reasons it didnt pan out. This 1031 popped up this week and is an hour from me so I jumped on it. Not having to ship the truck from afar is going to save me a grand alone.

Also, the seller of this 1031 is selling it for what most people are asking for half rusted 1008s these days so Im feeling pretty good about the deal as a whole besides needing to off the contact box.

Thanks for all the great input.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribing as I have an empty 1031 body I am going to sell too. Fresh info is always helpfull.
Dave the one in the classifieds is in S.E. MI. , there is another one for sale up in lake city for $600 ,it's been sitting a long time.

ODdave

Mine is different than the one in S.E. MI.... My fuel fill is on the inside, I thought there where just 2 diferent boxes, is there more?