• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Welder

1956_4x4

Does anyone happen to have one of the military M1031 contact maintenance trucks? I have an 86 with the PTO driven generator. This thing is supposed to be set up to stick weld with a cable from the generator control panel.

I need to make a set of cables so I can have the weld capability. If someone has the cables, can you tell me how they're made? I don't have access to any schematics, but I don't think it can be that difficult to put together these cables.

Smitty

CCATLETT1984

I would check the Tech Manuals first to see if it is explained there, I dont know the TM for the contact truck off hand, but it might be in the -30 for the cucv trucks that you can find under the tech section on the left of the page.

1956_4x4

Re: RE: M1031 Welder

CCATLETT1984 said:
I would check the Tech Manuals first to see if it is explained there, I dont know the TM for the contact truck off hand, but it might be in the -30 for the cucv trucks that you can find under the tech section on the left of the page.
I'd love to check the manuals, if I could find a set... I can buy the truck, but the manuals seem to be a deep dark secret. The numbers I have for the manuals are 9-4940-562-13 and 562-23P.

Smitty

1956_4x4

Re: Welding Cables

Boatcarpenter said:
I could check the cables on this truck but I have no idea if they are similar. I do know it has the PTO driven setup and I believe the cables are all there.
That thing looks great! I'm real partial to the older trucks 8)

I'll grab my camera and try to figure out how to post a photo. If I can figure it out I also have some shots of the new military fire trucks as they are being assembled at the Pierce plant. Pretty impressive pumping systems...

Smitty

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has a miller 225d diesel genset/welder in the front of the bed. It uses the trucks fuel tank to run. The cables just plug into the machine. I've never seen one like yours. Can you post some pics of the generator and the pto?

TacticalTruck

That's my M1031 in the photo gallery section. I don't see how you could weld directly from the Gen panel, that would be like welding directly from your dryer plug. They are suppose to have a 3-phase welder mounted opposite the gen panel. Mine is missing also.

Attachments

1956_4x4

TacticalTruck said:
That's my M1031 in the photo gallery section. I don't see how you could weld directly from the Gen panel, that would be like welding directly from your dryer plug. They are suppose to have a 3-phase welder mounted opposite the gen panel. Mine is missing also.
Although I've never seen a welder mounted in one of these, it sure would answer a lot of questions on how it would run. The last one I used was an old 887 with the Wisconsin driven generator in the back.

Sure would like to lay hands on that manual...

Smitty

Towerguy1

I downloaded the M887 manual on this site. I have a M1028 with the M887 body with the Wisconsin driven generator/welder combonation. Its a totally different setup. Alot of welders seem to be missing from the M1031's. They plug into the generator.

1956_4x4

Does anyone happen to have any specific information on this welder? Make, model, etc? If I can get this info I'm sure I can find something to take it's place.

Smitty

NOt all the 1031's were set up for ordnance maintenance. You're actually looking for a "supply catalog" that would list the specific equipment for the using unit and the specific purpose of the truck. My guard engineer detachment had three of these trucks, but they only had the genset and the air compressor. We were "facility engineers", carpenters, electricians and plumbers to do building repairs. We used a special welding equipment trailer that was towed by a 5ton dump.

Boatcarpenter

Cont. Maint. Truck

maddawg380- I wish it were mine :(
warwick- here are some pics-tough to get some because it is parked too close to other vehicles to get the compartment doors open very far.
56_4x4- NO CABLES- :( pics of the welder though-even has a remote feature that allows you to control it from 25 feet away I believe. The amp. adjusting wheel is removeable and there are 5 5ft. fiberglass extension rods that you connect to reach the 25 feet.

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

Cont.Maint. Truck

More pics. And yes, the owner has someone that assures him that he is going to buy it as soon as he sells some other stuff!!
BC

Attachments

1956_4x4

BC - Very cool truck! Mine is like the panel TacticalTruck posted.

I was able to look at a manual on base and he's right about the auxillary welder. It would plug into the generator panel. I was under the impression this model worked like the one's mounted on the M887s, but I was wrong. Looks like I'll just keep the mig in there for now.

I just finished replacing tie rod and drag link ends. I need to get it to an alignment shop tomorrow.

Smitty

warwick

Boatcarpenter thats for the pictures, the best i've see of the 6217. hope to see one in person one day. also thanks for checking to see if it was for sale.

Hightechken

Most of the M1031's I have seen are missing the welder. Since the generator produces 3 phase power, You can just buy one of the surplus 3 phase generators on the market that sell dirt cheap because the average person cannot use them. I found some Miller CP 200 wire feed welders cheap for mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks