• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Data Plate Mystery

SteveKuhn

I have 1 plate on my M105 that is bleached out/illegible and haven't been able to find a photo with one I can read. I'd probably like to replace it if I knew what I was looking for.

The plate in question is highlighted and boxed in this crop I found.

Can anybody tell me what it says and perhaps point me to a link with a legible one or a source?

Thanks.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the picture in the TM helpful?

TM9-2330-213-14&P

Attachments

SteveKuhn

Thanks for the posts and the PM, JKS. The photo above is from an Internet photo because it was the best I could find in the right place on the trailer. This one is from mine - real bad shape. From the little bit of outline, it could be the same as the one from Doghead's TM but I'd like to see the one from SteelAndCanvas.

Based on the replies, it doesn't look like I could reproduce it accurately even if I found the plate blank. It was depot rebuilt at some point. The main data plate is a replacement by the prior owner but I also have the original. Those match perfectly.

Any more info appreciated.

Attachments

3dAngus

Find out which one it is, and I'll just send you one if I have it. I have a few laying around, not sure if it is a complete set or not though. PM me when you know.

SteveKuhn

It's a metal data plate attached with screws. You can sorta see 'em in the pic above and in the one I've attached here.

To clear any confusion: This photo shows a small portion of the main (new) dataplate on the right which is great. The illegible one is on the left and doesn't read any better up close than it does in the photo. That's the one in question.

3dAngus: PM sent. I have no idea of the printing. There's nothing punched into it. There are faint outlines left at the top of the plate that suggest the small rectangular plate in Doghead's TM illustration ("Responsible Agency"; "Procurement".)

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Steve,

I didn't get your PM. I'll just go out and look at one of mine, and see what it is. Been hectically busy or I would have already done it. PM me again with your address and if I don't have it, I'll just pull one off of mine and send it. No charge.

3dAngus

Steel,

I believe it is going to be the small plate on DH's picture post. That's the one I'm sending him. It turns out, if VME does a refurbishment on these trailers, they remove that plate and put a "VME refurbished" sticker in that location.

steelandcanvas

Thank you 3dAngus for the lesson on VME dataplates. My rustproofing information is on a metallic sticker, I sure thought that was it. Good eye! It's nice to learn something on here every now and then. [thumbzup]

SteveKuhn

That one looks like the one on the 1st photo I posted. I'm sorta coming to the conclusion that Doghead's is it.

I won't be up at the trailer for at least a week. Mebbe my fancy camera phone will be able to get a picture of the ghosts of the old print.

At this point, I think about anything will look better than the washed out one.

Thanks again for everybody's effort and help

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure looks like a responsible agency plate. Slather some DOT3 brake fluid on it, see if it helps define enough letters to confirm.

SteveKuhn

Thanks to 3dAngus for sending the responsible agency plate. I got it Saturday. I think it's going to be the exact right one for the trailer.

I hope to get to comparing it over the weekend with a [careful] Dot3 cleanup on both.