• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 With 16" Wheels? How?

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this trailer for sale on ebay 260589391797. It has 16" wheels and if you look at the u-bolts they don't look like they have been taken off indicationg the axle is original. Curious how they may have done this, perhaps change the hub? Looks like it would make the 105 more user friendly. Just found a thread stating Isuzu NPR 17.5 rims will work as well, anyone know if the 16" NPR wheels might fit?

Attachments

Last edited:

blybrook

Those bolts have been replaced. Do NOT look stock when compared to the two M105's I have in the yard. Looks like they replaced the axle with a straight axle. There's a few write ups about this conversion.

Contact the seller to see if they've replaced the axle or how they swapped the hubs. Other threads here haven't described or given hub part numbers to do that conversion.

I can't comment about your other questions, other than if you replace the axle, find one that has the same bolt pattern as your tow rig so you can use the same wheels.

HTH

Bill

jimm1009

That is a different axle as the wheels would be outside the fender wells by 75% or more. The axle tube is a smaller diameter or so it appears to be from picteure #2.
I did this with one of mine because someone liberated the axle and tires just before I purchased it.
It lowers the gross weight but is handy for lighter loads behind the pickup and a more comfortable bed height for unloading mulch or compost for the "Other Half's" flower garden.
This is good as it further justifies the need for the O.D. Green stuff and then I MUST have the deuce for the standard M105A1 trailer with military overload springs so that "I can safely pull it down the road" with a real load on it. :evil:

jimm1009 :-D

Srjeeper

105's are about 2,800 lbs. empty.

That seems like alot of trailer to put on just two 16's even before a load.

2cents

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 4 wheel flatbed/bolster trailers use a 6 bolt pattern with a 16.5 rim. Looks like the will bolt on.

wikallen

well, a E rated tire with a 120 spec is rated for 3169lbs, even more if you went up to 128 rated. so, that still gives you 3538 lbs load capacity. So, you still have your 1.5 ton load capacity.

Nonotagain

Saw this trailer for sale on ebay 260589391797. It has 16" wheels and if you look at the u-bolts they don't look like they have been taken off indicationg the axle is original. Curious how they may have done this, perhaps change the hub? Looks like it would make the 105 more user friendly. Just found a thread stating Isuzu NPR 17.5 rims will work as well, anyone know if the 16" NPR wheels might fit?

The tires, wheels and axle have been replaced with a commercial axle and civie tires and wheels from what appears to be a Chevy 4X4 1/2 ton pickup.

The mentioned M796 and the M1061 trailer wheels use the same bolt pattern as the Deuce/M105, however the wheels are 16.5X10" and the tires are 12.00X16.5 load range "F", single rated 4045lbs @ 45 psi.

The wheels are hard to come by. I've been looking for a couple for a project myself, but haven't found anything.

pacebm

Stretch44875 is correct. I have bought several of the bolster trailers for minimum bid just to get the rims. They bolt right up, no issues. They look kind of weird but several customers had asked that the trailer set lower. One that I sold probably has 30k miles on it; the guy is a carpenter and hauls a lot of his stuff around in the back of it. I see him all the time, I will try to get you a picture so you know what they look like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks