• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Big Wheel tongue stand... anyone modify it to jack?

coachgeo

did search a good bit first... but must be using wrong keywords.

I am sure someone has modified their M105a2 with the big wheel tongue stand. Happen to prefer the big wheel over the landing gear type even though they appear to have a jack. Just prefer the big wheel cause it rolls in soft ground etc. so much better than the landing gear jackable version.

Odds are here are even threads in here on the subject.... If anyone has ideas on good search keywords to help me find them, will be happy to search some more before I start asking any questions on the topic.

If anyone has a link..... that would be helpful start as well, or if you feel like adding your ideas in this thread..... fire away

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

coachgeo

Thanks... but this is NOT a TM thing by any stretch of the imagination. It would take a custom modification to keep the big wheel setup yet still have a jack. Just assumed someone has done this before is why I searched first then asked second.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody dumps the big wheel and goes to the new style with the jack. 2 wheels are going to spread the weight better in soft ground.

coachgeo

Everybody dumps the big wheel and goes to the new style with the jack. 2 wheels are going to spread the weight better in soft ground.
makes since. Guess it would be easiest route, but got no desire to do that though. The small diameter of new style wheels appears they would not roll over things as well when I move it around with my tractor. Looks like ground contact between new and old being much of any difference is... a toss up.

IMHO looks like new design was adopted mostly cause it was what would be stronger than the design of single wheel on a fork "below" a jack's leg cause; forks tend to bend. Thus to eliminate forks and to fit in same space as old setup; small wheels were needed so they could mount outboard of the jack's post. Just a guess though. Obviously it works fairly well.... they have stuck with that setup for sometime now.

Oh well..... will think of something... maybe someone has done it and will pipe in. No need to reinvent the wheel.... ahhahahah.... pardon the pun

Last edited:

drivebymashing

I removed my big wheel for a side mounted side winded jack. I guess I could of left the big wheel for extra stability while parked especially if loaded. Good idea. I used a weld on style on "a" part of the trailer right past the handle looking part.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an original trailer with the big wheel. You about need a separate jack to do a regular hook-up, especially if there is a load in it. I always use a Handyman jack. The integral jack of the more modern landing gear always seem like the way to go. If you want to go that way, trade with somebody, the whole jack/landing wheel unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks