• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2 to camper conversion.

acesneights1

I'm not sure if my side racks are backwards or not. Right now the wood is facing in. Should it face out ?
I grabbed this pic off the net but they almost look backwards.

Attachments

Last edited:

acesneights1

How do I get the bolts out on the wood ?
They are headless and no nuts. Looks like I may have to grind them out ??

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It depends how rusty the carriage bolts are. If they are not to rusty and you have a wire feed you can tack weld a nut on the head of the carriage bolt, hold it with a wrench and remove the nut. If the bolt is very rusty I usually just take a 4 1/2 inch grinder and very carefully grind off the nut. Being careful not to damage the metal stake.

These two methods work well for me.

Speedwoble

You can buy a tool called a nut splitter or nut cracker. It forces a point like a cold chisel into the nut. One split from each side and the nut falls off. Run a thread chaser over the carriage bolt and it is ready to rust up all over again. That said, I used a cut-off disk on an angle grinder to cut the bolt and nut off. I cut through the nut, leaving about 1/16" of the nut so I wasn't nicking the metal stakes. then a cold chisel chipped off that last 1/16".

jbayer

How do I get the bolts out on the wood ?
They are headless and no nuts. Looks like I may have to grind them out ??
If I'm not mistaken the originals are BLIND RIVETS, NOT BOLTS, as piper cub said.
Not many choices for replacements either. You can't really use carriage bolts, nuts on the outside would wear through the cover if you use one, nuts on the inside would tear up anthing you carry in there.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You may want to add a thin sheet of plywood on top of you roof bows, it will help keep the top from "pooling" in rainy weather. It can hold many gallons of rain water up there, I found out the hard( cold, wet) way!

Last edited:

acesneights1

Used fiberglass bathroom panel on the ceiling. Gonna put some alum face insulation between it too. BTW if anyone has the vinyl cover, a Walmart tent repair kit works awesome on pin holes. I found 3.
I'll load pics later but had a slight engineering defect. I mounted the batteries on the tongue forgetting the landing gear had to go up so I removed it and put an electric camper jack. Much nicer for leveling out.

acesneights1

can I get a staff member to change my thread title to M105a2 camper conversion sionce that's really what this turned into ?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some pics of the electric jack install as well as more progress. Sorry some of the pics are sideways. I rotated them when I saved them but they still come out sideways.
If you are using iOS (iPad, iPhone etc), I've had the same problem. My hypothesis is that the device doesn't seem to be actually modify the picture, just remember your setting and only actually apply those changes when e-mailed, texted, or posted on Facebook (that way so you can always "revert" changes). Something is different about posting to SteelSoldiers as those changes don't get "applied".

The most reliable way I've found around this is to save the pictures to a full computer and, ensure proper orientation, then upload to SteelSoldiers.

Last edited:

acesneights1

The trailer worked out great. Gotta put a hot water heater in though. Those cold showers at night were a bit rough...I picked up some collapsible tent poles at the show and made a half ass canopy so I could keep the ends rolled up in the rain. Stayed dry, cool at night and no bugs.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks