• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 titled to RV question

Ovrlnd1

Hello, fairly new to SS. I'm trying to gain as much information as I can before purchasing so that I make as few mistakes as possible.
Let me know if this is not the correct area to post this.
I am looking to purchase a M1078a1 from private owner (no auction) to convert to an RV. Planning to remove the bed and build the habitat/box and mount to frame.
I am in Colorado.
I have not had one of these before, so my questions are;

How do the titles usually come? as a truck, commercial truck, surplus vehicle, etc.....?
I want to title it as RV, what is the process for doing this, changing it over in Colorado?
What have you found for insurance and how difficult was it to get? get it for the "truck" first, then change it to RV after converting it?
I would like to drive it as I am working on it, so the title, insurance, ect.... what is the best way for this?

I have designed and built an expedition trailer from scratch. It was fairly easy to work through DMV for title, this seems so much more daunting.

Thank you for any thoughts and advice.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor

Ovrlnd1

Yeah, I'm a little familiar with that. I actually have an email into the local DMV asking for clarification. They didn't know anything about it when my wife asked while she was registering another vehicle.
One thing that I have not seen, is what States does this currently effect? Is it across the nation or specific States?
My thought from what I have heard from a little bird, was to register in SD. I have not heard that this is an issue there, but probably need to look into this more.

With all that said, and lets say that I can get it titled for on-road, recommendations to my original post about how to change the title from truck to RV, insurance, etc... I could think that if the vehicle was titled as an RV, it might go under the radar for on road registration issues. I currently have a 1952 m38. In July was able to renew my collector plates with no issues. It says Jeep on the reg, so I think it will be fine. Only time will tell though.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Until you have a box with the required components most states wont let you change to RV title.
Some CO people have titled elsewhere, there's extensive posts regarding that.
I was lucky in getting an RV title from the S97 because the M1079 was listed as a van body.

Ovrlnd1

So that I understand. Let's say I have a 1078, it is currently titled as a M1078 truck. I have the title signed over to me as is. I build a box on it with the necessary components, (refrig, sink, bed, etc..) I have it inspected? by who? State Patrol, local LE, DMV, to sign off that it is now an "RV". Then go to DMV and change title from truck to RV? Same process regardless of State? By having it titled as RV, that should help with obtaining title anywhere including States with the military vehicle issues? Also help with insuring the vehicle?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the potential steps involved with doing this.
I will definitely be sending emails and phone calls to representatives pertaining to this Bill at the same time i would like to be able to move forward with my project as long as there is a work around,

coachgeo

..... I have it inspected? by who? State Patrol, local LE, DMV, to sign off that it is now an "RV". Then go to DMV and change title from truck to RV? Same process regardless of State? By having it titled as RV, that should help with obtaining title anywhere including States with the military vehicle issues? Also help with insuring the vehicle?
every state is different; there is no generalization. Aka for inspection to clarify it as RV or not... same thing... every state different. All you can do is study CO. registration/title rules.

Also, Fed. rules say a state MUST allow transfer of title from one state to another... BUT, NO that title does not have to be transferred with same classification. Example one state may title it as RV.. where another when you move to their state WILL TITLE IT...... (as per Fed. law requires) but title it as Ex-military and relegated to off road only.

So... never say it is military..... Its a medium duty truck ... (converted to RV) manufactured by Steward Stevens.

insurance- this site has insurance questions broke down by state . Go thru the first page of this site and find [General Forum ] then the Insurance section, then thru that for CO. Done that way cause Insurance answers are worthless unless it comes from someone in your state... heck a region of a state "could be" different insurance wise than another region for that matter. Insurance companies calculate coverage ( or not ) based on statistics that point to less chance of ever paying out. State, City, county lines mean nothing to them beyond ease of clarifying a "go / no go" line.... all that matters is statistics.

Last edited:

Ovrlnd1

Thank you. I have a great insurance broker and know they will help in everyway they can. I just want to know the proper steps to go through so as not to make it any harder or complicated than it needs to be.
I believe i have a better understanding of this and am looking forward to getting this junk out of the way and just having fun with the truck and build.
Now i need to buckle down and find the vehicle. The easy part, right. LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks