• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078A1 cab and chassis electrical upgrades including AC

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Naw you need CAT ET to perform the injection pressure tests, etc. The generic scan tools and software generally don't understand the HEUI system and special tests you can run.
I have been wanting to add CAT ET to the mix and learn more about all the bits and pieces in that diagnostic kit you and @Lostchain suggested we pickup—

Ronmar

3116 is a mechanical injection pump with the lift pump on the back of the head. 3126b and C7 have HEUI injection pumps with the lift pump driven off the back of the HEUI pump so the lines are going to be totally different length, etc. Not sure about fitting sizes but there's also a difference in engine displacement, and fuel pressure since the HEUI engines don't operate with high pressure fuel from an injection pump - they use high pressure oil instead.

So I wouldn't assume any of that is correct for an electronic engine. Measure everything before you order part numbers off a random internet spreadsheet.
The 3116 lift pump is in the governor like the HEUI. from what I have observed I think they use the same basic lift fuel lines. One ~6' from tank to primer/primary water separator and filter. A second ~2' line from primary filter to governor/HEUI lift pump inlet port, all JIC6 female fittings. Where they differ is that the HEUI engines have the pressure regulator at the rear of the head and return from there, so perhaps ~5-6' return hose to tank(also JIC6 female)?. The 3116 has the fuel pressure regulator at the front, so the return line runs from there back past the primary filter to the tank, ~6-7'

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been wanting to add CAT ET to the mix and learn more about all the bits and pieces in that diagnostic kit you and @Lostchain suggested we pickup—
I did pick up my own kit of stuff and a laptop to run it. They both ride in the cab, easily accessible. While I have only used the DPG interface and one cable from the whole box (there's a TON of stuff in the kit), it has way more than paid for itself (I think it was $500 for the kit and $300 for the laptop). The ability to plug in and check things out in the back country was invaluable. Think of it as an investment of one trip to a CAT shop, paid for in advance, allowing you to resolve basic issues extremely easily and have informed conversations with motor techs when dealing with complex ones.

Last edited:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did pick up my own kit of stuff and a laptop to run it. They both ride in the cab, easily accessible. While I have only used the DPG interface and one cable from the whole box (there's a TON of stuff in the kit), it has way more than paid for itself (I think it was $500 for the kit and $300 for the laptop). The ability to plug in and check things out in the back country was in valuable. Think of it as an investment of one trip to a CAT shop, paid for in advance, allowing you to resolve basic issues extremely easily and have informed conversations with motor techs when dealing with complex ones.
So, you have CAT ET software?

coachgeo

3116 is a mechanical injection pump with the lift pump on the back of the head. 3126b and C7 have HEUI injection pumps with the lift pump driven off the back of the HEUI pump so the lines are going to be totally different length, etc. Not sure about fitting sizes but there's also a difference in engine displacement, and fuel pressure since the HEUI engines don't operate with high pressure fuel from an injection pump - they use high pressure oil instead.

So I wouldn't assume any of that is correct for an electronic engine. Measure everything before you order part numbers off a random internet spreadsheet.
Much of this sheet is done by @simp5782, though others help with it now too and it is continually updated based on reports from here in SS. There is no hose lengths on the spread sheet only part numbers for bulk to cut to length.... Fitting and hose are for converting to more modern Push Lock and NOT for direct OEM replacement.

Doing some searching appears OEM is: end of a hose using JIC6 at hose side- and at fitting into engine part's side is NPTF thread. If that is correct then would not the push lock part numbers shown logically work? (and heck of a lot easier for citizen owned FMTV users to work with)?

@Ronmar above points out it appears to him 3116/3126/C7 are same (JIC6) Hopefully one more person; also in a "bit of know" will throw their knowledge in the hat. That will assist in getting the sheet updated.

PS- Looks like the fuel solenoid info got updated already.

Last edited:

Ronmar

Yea the pics I have seen and the few I have had my hands on have JIC6 fittings on the primary filter and on the outlet port on the pressure reg at the back of the cylinder head. Don’t recall if I have ever had my hands on the lift pump inlet port and don’t recall seeing a pic of it, but I suspect it is also JIC6

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning we took her for another run. 46ºF morning looking for the IAH to cycle on and off after startup. Then to merge up to speed on the interstate. Remember we have EcoHubs and have yet to reprogram the speedometer.

video of start up and merging on to interstate updated link to correct video

Changing the fuel filters seems to have been our fuel issue, for now—

Last edited:

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning we took her for another run. 46ºF morning looking for the IAH to cycle on and off after startup. Then to merge up to speed on the interstate. Remember we have EcoHubs and have yet to reprogram the speedometer.

video of start up and merging on to interstate updated link to correct video

Changing the fuel filters seems to have been our fuel issue, for now—
How many miles on the odo? Couldn't read but it looks like 94k?

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
24, almost 25,000–
I'm at 13k, keeping an eye on the troubles that may be coming. I'm doing the full gambit of Amsoil bypass filter, IFS high psi filter and HEUI pre filter. I'll be taking the fuel lines to my hydraulic shop to just have new ones made to order as General suggested. PM wars

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm at 13k, keeping an eye on the troubles that may be coming. I'm doing the full gambit of Amsoil bypass filter, IFS high psi filter and HEUI pre filter. I'll be taking the fuel lines to my hydraulic shop to just have new ones made to order as General suggested. PM wars
I understand.

We posted this here because at first we weren't sure if we had missed a circuit in the IAH system. Maintaining the fuel and oil systems with frequent filter changes and fluid replacement is critical to staying ahead of potential issues.

When we owned a number of big yellow Caterpillars years ago we did fluid sampling and it helped us avoid significant down times. Still thinking through our plan for our new adventure—

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks