• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078A1 radiator

NEIOWA

FD brush truck has bad radiiator. Is the radiator common to the across the various 4x4 and 6x6 versions of the LVTV series (and A0 vs A1)? Is after my days in green. If find the correct part# should be able to req from DOD surplus.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually need for an A1. Or is there a separate A1 series of TMs?
Oh you mean TM's. Private message me. Those aren't public domain and they aren't simple documents. The A1+ trucks require the military digital reader software and have a high level of diagnostic integration. Totally different.

NEIOWA

The A1 we has some other problems so I'm looking for the full series of TM. Mgmt doesn't understand Army at all - FInd the manual/look it up in the manual.

We could have drawn this truck (and any parts needed) at no cost from DOD surplus. Instead, we used $, always hard to come by for a rural vol. FD to BUY one. Now a few months later it has some "issues"

I was just looking for a thread on test/debug of an A1 I gather the DOD STE/ICE, of my day, is no longer the current equipment/method. What does a 63B use on an A1? An interface cable to a laptop with _______software? Publiclly available?

FD has a couple young Freightliner/John Deere mechanics that apparently know some stuff but pretty much dependent pluggomg in a laptop. Anything more than ___ yrs old is a mystery.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FD has a couple young Freightliner/John Deere mechanics that apparently know some stuff but pretty much dependent pluggomg in a laptop. Anything more than ___ yrs old is a mystery.
If you have A1's you MUST have a laptop with diagnostic software or a J1939/J1708 scan tool. Without being able to look at computer I/O you can be left with ZERO ability to diagnose a problem. A good example is the boost pressure transducer - that can get "stuck" at 0 psi (it's normal state when engine is off) and the ECM has no way to detect that fault - it breaks the fuel system feedback loop and the ECM does not provide enrichment (can't see the turbo spooling) so it never provides enough fuel to go more than about 10 mph. NEVER gives you a check engine light even. And you will NEVER figure out the failure without being able to see live data and take note that boost pressure remains at zero when the turbo is clearly making some pressure. You are essentially blind and deaf without a diagnostic interface so the young guys have a point - you should ALWAYS consult the computer (the gatekeeper) before you perform any other diagnostics. They probably just aren't experienced enough to have alternate diagnostic methods under their belt yet.

63B (Light Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic) went away in Sept 2004 - most with that MOS were reclassed to 91B (Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic) after additional training requirements. This was part of a general clean-up of MOS classifications to reduce the total number of different MOS classes to under 200.

The engine, transmission, ABS, etc all speak normal civilian J1939 or J1708 so any "heavy duty" scan tool will provide the functionality to speak with the modules through the diagnostic connector next to the drivers left knee.

The technical manuals are another thing entirely. PM me. I can build laptops as well that are exact replicas of the military MSD laptops with the TM's, etc. The STE/ICE kits are old school but if you have one I can build a laptop that will function with it.

NEIOWA

So their std civ laptop can connect to the "I/O" plug on an A1? Or need a mil cable?

Fire call today the truck idled very rough and smoked the entire station up at cold start. So I'd guess was getting plenty of fuel. I was not driving it so don't know how it performed.