• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 carb help

rizzo

I started my 108 after a few months of sitting and had no throttle response. After I took the top off I could see that the butterfly was stuck. it will move with the screwdriver, but is very stiff. I plan on doing a multi swap (sorry DD) but not anytime soon. the truck will not run full speed, I don't know if the motor is weak or the carb not working correctly.
I was thinking of buying a new carb for it instead of fixing the old one.

comments or suggestions???

thanks

JDToumanian

Regarding the carb, they're easy to rebuild. If you can't find one locally, Walker's here in Hesperia has carb kits for the OA331 for ~$20... That's a lot cheaper than a new carb and may make more sense, especially if you're eventually planning to swap the engine to a MF anyway.

If your 108 is still for sale... Considering their rarity, it may be more desirable if in completely original condition, gasser engine and all...

Regards,
Jon

rizzo

If I can get the engine to pull correctly on the road I will leave it alone. It runs great and always starts.

Maybe the govoner is adjusted the wrong way? would this affect top speed?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yes, but I really need to look through a 1950s vintage manual to refresh my memory on all this, and I am visiting a friend for the holiday.

If Kenny or someone else doesn't chime in - give me a shout Wednesday.

DD

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the 8022 but I'm stupid when it comes to carburetors. Even in my racing days everything had Enderle injection. I'd really try that inexpensive rebuld kit and have that carb soaked. If it was mine and I wanted it right, I'd take the carb and a kit (in case they don't have one) to a reputable carb shop. I just don't do well with them.

rdixiemiller

The carbs aren't hard to do. The Holley Centri-Vac governor is a bit more trouble. Chances are good the governor is acting up. The throttle butterfly on a governed carburetor is not directly attached to the throttle linkage. The throttle linkage actuates the governor mechanism which in turn controls the butterfly unit.
I've done a few over the years, not too hard, just need to pay close attention to how things come apart.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Could you disconnect the governor from the linkage? I had a MEP-016C genset with a stick gov. I thought it was carb problems, but after I disconnect the gov linkage, I got full revs. I cleaned the gov up and lubed the linkages and all was good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks