• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 Found Bent Frame?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friday I am going to have a look at a M108 Crane truck WW, the owner told me the frame is bowed? Any yard stick I can use to tell how bad this is(anyone with any experience), I really want the truck $2000, but I don't want to spend $10K getting it fixed. He says the reason he knows the frame is bent is because the axle makes a clicking sound where it goes into the inboard rear differential. I have called a frame shop and they can't give an estimate until they see the truck, so any ideas are welcome.
James G.

mangus580

You could always buy a 'parts truck' and do a frame swap. You would have to figure out how to double it up though for the 108...

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reasoning behind the bent frame sounds off. The clicking could be a number of things. You can sight down the frame rails and see serious frame bending.

As to using a parts frame to repair, have to swap the mountingplate/with rear axles. Then you could cut out the rivets on the M108's double frame, and rivet it to the parts truck. A lot of work. I was going to do this to mine, plans have changed.

I would think a big truck body shop should be able to fix a mild frame bend. No idea on price.

Take lots of pics!

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bet the problem was something else. Any significant rear frame damage should be visually apparent. Please post up some pics for us 108 lovers!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
bent frame would not cause noise unless it was REALLY obvious. most likely a bent axle housing and that would also be obious just be looking at it.

jatonka

M108 frame bent

I don't follow the logic on a clicking noise meaning the frame is bent. I have a deuce with a bent axle housing and it doesn't click either. It has enough bend to make the duals look cambered from the rear, but you can't see the bend in the housing. I have an extra M108 at my place, if you want a correct frame. John Tennis

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M108 frame bent

I am picking up a M715 at the guys farm he has the 108 there so I will have a look and I will take some photos to post.
James G.

rizzo

if it is bent it will probably be at the front of the double frame.

I agree with Kenny again you should be able to see it with the naked eye. If it is not bent bad, don't let it deter you from getting the truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks