• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1084 Highway gears

ERT007

I am purchasing a M1084 and really need to make it more interstate friendly before I even start the conversation. Any input on the proper way to do this? I have heard of just changing the transfer box gears. I would hate to have to change out all axle gears but I have to do what is best for safety and life of the truck>

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am purchasing a M1084 and really need to make it more interstate friendly before I even start the conversation. Any input on the proper way to do this? I have heard of just changing the transfer box gears. I would hate to have to change out all axle gears but I have to do what is best for safety and life of the truck>
Tires is the simplest.

395s to 1400s will give you 6 to 8mph top speed increase so around 65mph. 1600s will give you a top speed around 71/72.

Continental HCS is available in 1400R20 but aren't cheap. Most of the 1400 stock has dried up from military surplus that aren't 10yrs old.

1600s are found in goodyear AT3s and Michelin XZL are around 400 new for 2017 date codes and newer.

Otherwise you have to swap gears in all 3 axles. Rear axles are simple and done in under an hour per one. Front takes a few hours.

If you have a A1 or A1R1 truck the gears are worth it cause you have the power to go. 3116 trucks not soo much.

ERT007

Tires is the simplest.

395s to 1400s will give you 6 to 8mph top speed increase so around 65mph. 1600s will give you a top speed around 71/72.

Continental HCS is available in 1400R20 but aren't cheap. Most of the 1400 stock has dried up from military surplus that aren't 10yrs old.

1600s are found in goodyear AT3s and Michelin XZL are around 400 new for 2017 date codes and newer.

Otherwise you have to swap gears in all 3 axles. Rear axles are simple and done in under an hour per one. Front takes a few hours.

If you have a A1 or A1R1 truck the gears are worth it cause you have the power to go. 3116 trucks not soo much.
Thanks for the information. I am fortunate enough to have a nephew that is a CAT mechanic so I am going to see what it will take to change the gears. I will also look into the tires.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the information. I am fortunate enough to have a nephew that is a CAT mechanic so I am going to see what it will take to change the gears. I will also look into the tires.
Gears aren't hard to replace especially the rears, it is acquiring them for the 4k or more for a pair. And you need a 3rd. So... factor in that 6k before the work is even started.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks