• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 rotted floor

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought you had to leave something open somewhere one the wood. They breath was the point. If the natural moisture in the wood cant breath out... it will rot itself from the inside out. No personal experience..... just reading to educmacate myself in advance. Curious your input on this.
When I had my wood boat I had the benefit of having it docked at a marina which was also owned by a boat build/boat repair guy. He help me with ideas and tips on working on, repairing, and upgrading my boat. He got me into the West System epoxy and showed me how and where to use it. One thing was to always use marine grade plywood and he recommended West System epoxy. Marine grade plywood is more expensive but is top grade and it has no voids in between the plies.

He said that when using plywood, make all final cuts and to coat all sides with 50% thinned West System so it is absorbed into the wood sealing it and then coat again with full strength. After attaching the plywood, fill any voids and attachment points with West System to seal all areas.

After repairing and upgrading my boat using this tip I had the boat for over 20 years and had no problems with failure or rot. I always stained the plywood before applying the West System. I would top coat it with a high grade UV resistant varnish for interior usage and UV resistant marine grade paint for exterior usage.

I found two cons with West System. One, UV rays will break it down over time so it needs to be top coated with UV resistant paint or other UV resistant coatings. Two, It can't be used in any under water application.

Well, that was long winded...my point, I never had a issue with coating all side of the plywood in this application. Also, like I said earlier, I've used this technique on several other projects and had any issues.

There was one, I believe it was a SS member, who built a hab box on the back of his truck (I think it was a 7 ton) using plywood and West System.

But, to each their own.

Tom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks