• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097R1 -- some leak, what to check?

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 923469

Hi Folks,

There is an indication of some fluid sip in the picture above. Can someone provides me with suggestion, on what to check?

Thx,
-k
EVERYTHING................. The stain in the picture is DOT 5 brake fluid....... silicone stuff, unique to the trucks. Don't mix it with anything else. If you figure out how to remove the stain let me know, have one just like it for years. Check every thing with a plug or dipstick , and chain it all. Gets you off to a fresh start. They don't need anything fancy, diesel oil and quality filter, plain jane antifreeze regular gear lube. And a mess of zerk fittings that will need grease. Down load the "Lube Order" You will be busy for two days! Have fun.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That could be anything.

Overflow from power steering fluid got blown there and did that to me. Cold be leaking power steering line also. Leaking oil cooling line is also in that side. If you spilled oil it could be that too.

I like to pressure clean engines and look for leaks when everything is cleaned up. Less confusing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First just look and see if you can tell where it is coming from, it should get "wetter" as you get closer to the leak.
If that does not work then de-grease everything in the area, run it a little and see if you can find the leak if there is one.
Check to make sure the brake master cylinder is full and the cap is correctly installed and check the power steering fluid.
The most likely suspects are the fan control hoses and the brake hydro-boost.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This does a good job of cleaning the engine compartment. I spray liberally and use a large paint brush to loosen debris. Rinse thoroughly and then drive the vehicle up to temp in order to dry. A bourbon and Coke then helps to relieve the hand cramps after spraying that full bottle of degreaser.

IMG_0116.jpeg